Topic: Supplier Allocations

Ok... Did I do something wrong or what am I missing?

I have used Bank Account Payment Entry (Banking & GL -> Payments) to make a variety of payments.

I just clicked on Supplier Allocations (Purchases -> Allocate Supplier Payments or Credit Notes) and found a collection of unallocated payments!

Do I need to create an invoice for these?

tom

Re: Supplier Allocations

Here is the GL for one of these.

Is this proper?

General Ledger Transaction Details     Reference     Date     Person/Item
Bank Payment #19     19     03/11/2010     Supplier United States Postal Service

Account Code     Account Name     Dimension     Debit     Credit     Memo
5100     Freight           10.20         163590742
1060     Checking Account               10.20

Supplier payments entered via general bank interface are not allocated to transactions, just because you have no way to select transaction for allocation here. If you want allocate payment to transaction in one step use Purchases/Payments to Suppliers instead.
Janusz

So I must have entered them in Supplier and Not Banking by mistake...

I guess the simplest way to clear these is to enter a dummy invoice so I can allocate the payments...

tom

I don't know.  If those are really payments you probably should have some related invoices, so you can allocate them together.
Janusz

One example is US Postal Service. I buy postage two ways, online and dropping off a package.

No Invoice, just a recipt.

I just created Suppliers for the places a lot of money goes too.

Shipping, Raw Material, Credit Card Processing

Or should I only use Suppliers for those costs that allow delayed payment?

It seems that using a Bank Payment and Selecting a SUPPLIER is about the same as Purchases Payment to Supplier.

In that they both need allocation to an invoice later.

tom

I ran some tests on a test server.

I guess it is no surprise (to me now) that a Bank Payment to a Supplier is the same as a Purchasing -> Supplier Payment

Those payment should be made when I will be invoiced.

For my pay on demand I should use a Misc Payment or even a Quick entry.

So it now seems very logical that I will need to add a Dummy Invoice to allocate the payments to

tom

Yes, this the only way for now, I thnik. It would be good to extend idea of allocation by enabling payment entry against purchase order/GRN as prepayment. So process would look like this:
. After PO/GRN entry we have link to payment against this PO/GRN
. Entered payment is preallocated against this PO/GRN
. When GRN/Invoice is entered the allocation is moved from PO/GRN to GRN/Invoice.
This way we could avoid additional allocation step in mos cases, i.e. when payment is done against some single PO.
Janusz

I think this would be a good idea. There is quite a bit of unnecessary wok in FA where you have to make supplier payments and customer receiptsand then subsequently allocate the transaction.

While you are at it, could you also consider being able to allocate a receipt (deposit) to a sales order for customer transactions. It sucks having to wait until an order s delivered and invoiced before a customer deposit can be allocated against the transaction. That process is very similar to what is proposed for PO's above, just on the other side of the ledger.

I have a lot more deposits on sales orders than prepaid purchase orders.

[b]RodW[/b]
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Sure. I will try to add this feature before next major release. We will need extend database structure a little to implement allocations to orders, so we cannot do it before 2.3 release.
Janusz