Topic: How to edit "item code" ?

Dear all,

Let said, i have a short form for my items code right now and would like to change it to ISBN no or others special code that easier to remember, How to do it?

Thanks for your supports.

Re: How to edit "item code" ?

If you want to use the ISBN codes during sales order entry you can add them at Foreign Item codes page.
Janusz

Dear Bro itronics,

Thanks for your fast reply...will get the keyboard wedge scanner as suggest by you earlier. anyway, Does it also can be use at item location transfer.. i mean internal transfer within own branch?

Thanks again.

I'm affraid not.  As for now the foreign codes are used only in sales entry.
Janusz

Janusz I've noticed that Foreign Item codes are only used in sales and not in purchases could you please, tell me why? and what's the logic behind this codes?

Thanks Giorgi

The foreign codes are simply aliases for company item code.Foreign item codes has been introduced to enable EAN codes instead of internal codes during counter sale. This is auxiliary numbering which is less useful on purchase side, where purchase staff use company item codes, which eventually should be translated to supplier codes (this is not implemented yet).
Janusz

7 (edited by jori 12/20/2010 07:36:18 pm)

Thx for the answer. Let me share with my observation on this. I've added 2 items, then I added foreign Item codes for those 2 items with descriptions. When in sales order window instead of 2 items there are 4 in the drop down list 2 of them are original 2 items I've added from the outset and the other 2 are descriptions of the foreign item codes. They should not appear as separate items on inventory don't they and also separate pricing can be set for them what for? or I miss something?

Yes, seems here FA is too flexible  a little, and probably in most cases  items should not be selectable by foreign item codes in those places. On the other hand some users can rely on current behaviour, so I'm not sure we shhpuld change it.
Janusz

I think you should be able to use Foreign Item Codes as an alias in all places where you can enter an Item Code.  And when you add a Foreign Item Codes to a product it should use that Items price, and description. 

I think it should it should be just that an alias.

AM

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."  - Aristotle.

Ok but why EAN/UPC codes can not be put instead of internal item codes or they do? and foreign item cods are just for those who use both internal codes and EAN/UPC am I right?

I see EAN/UPC as a means of automation.  To me EAN/UPC means very little.  But to a bar code scanner and a computer system EAN/UPC means everything.

When most companies come up with Item Codes they use some meaningful format, (all products that are cables may have an item code starting with CB, etc.)

When it comes to making a sale, counting inventory or other data entry you can sure use the speed of a a bar code and scanner.  Most all products today have a bar code.  Why not use what is there.

jori wrote:

Ok but why EAN/UPC codes can not be put instead of internal item codes or they do?

Sure you could do that, as was said above or in other post, a bar code scanner is nothing more then a replacement for your fingers on the keys. For me this would not work as we come up with Item Codes, and enter data before we generate a PO.  In most cases we will not know what the EAN/UPC is before we receive the products.

AM

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."  - Aristotle.

Thanks for explanations!
I'm doing Georgian translation plan to finish it by the end of February 2011. FA is cool.

I think I am confused.  In another post I learned that foreign item codes cannot be entered for manufactured items, which I guess makes sense now that in this post I see everyone describing the feature for external codes only.  But all I want to be able to do is enter manufactured items on the sales entry with a barcode scanner.  So if I cannot add a foreign item code for a manufactured item, can I at least generate a barcode using my manufactured item's stock ID, so I can use a scanner to add to the order form?  If so how can I generate these barcodes?

Thanks

Hello,,
the rtl "Arabic" version is almost ready .. and here is how it looks.
https://ibb.co/gBn3v5

Post's attachments

rtl.png 82.9 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

15 (edited by diamondcare.bh 10/14/2019 04:57:21 pm)

Hi i am new here i just start using Fa . my question is if we assign foreign code to a item it will ask EAN/UPC code , QTY suppose we added 10 QTY foreign code only to one item .it means i can scan that item in sales screen 10 times or ???