Topic: Delete old customers

I have about 10 years of data in my FA database and I am looking at deleting all but the last 3-4 years (Under Fiscal Years)

It occurs to me that it will remove transactions but old customers and branches may be left alone.

Is there an easy way to clean up old customers with no transactions?

Tom

Re: Delete old customers

Your definition of "old" customers are those with no transactions for upto 4 years.
Look for persistent opening balances that have not been adjusted too in a long time.

1. check the debtors_master for full list of customers / suppliers.
2. check the debtor_trans for their old transactions to start with
3. then shortlist the ones that do not appear from a date 4 years ago
4. check if they appear in any of the various voucher types and keep only those which do not appear after a certain date four years ago.
5. Now these customers are in the crm_* tables and in the debtor_master and should not be in your recent debtor_trans table.
6. Copy these debtor_master and crm_* entries into an archive first
7. Now go ahead and delete the specific entries in their current db tables.

Many other tables like voided, gl_trans, cust_branch, etc., too can possibly sport remnants of such customers' transactions.

Sounds like it is not for the faint of heart!

I think I will skip that idea

Tom

Whilst realising the method I mentioned above is too involved, an alternative way of looking at it would be:
1. Before closing a fiscal, make sure all "deletable customers" have zero balances with adjustment Journal Entries as appropriate.
2. Make a list of all such customers who then have zero balances for the year on closure using the Trial Balance before closing the fiscal.
3. Identify those customers chosen for deletion.
4. In the new year, after closing the previous fiscal, just attempt to delete the customer branches first and then the customer (is there any such option in the FA UI?).
5. Pray for the best!

@joe / @itronics: Making a provision to delete a customer with no transactions anywhere in the current fiscal will render the past records orphan - any good fix..... - maybe a check in all open fiscal years alone?

@joe -  Why do we check branch to delete a customer.  May if the customer has more than one branch. We should prevent deleting. Also we can allow them to delete a customer who has no sales transactions whatever the branches he has.

Because sometimes for testing purpose our users  creating Customer. Than if they try to delete it will ask them to remove branches and than we have to delete it.

As of customer delete from the add  manage customers it works fine by checking of existing transactions except the branch validation

Subscription service based on FA
HRM CRM POS batch Themes

Delete branches first and then delete customer with no branch. Transactions may be pertaining to the first branch created when the customer was created.

@apmuthu, each transaction has debtor number and branch no. So thats unnecessary condition i feel. If the customer doesnot have any transactions, we can skip the branch validation and delete customer, contact, branch contact, branch and finally customer.

Subscription service based on FA
HRM CRM POS batch Themes

If a transaction was made and then voided, then the branch is needed to be deleted before the customer is deleted.

If I try to do that I think I will mess up my system.

I will leave it alone.

Thanks
Tom