Topic: Exact Software Stack Supported

I am installing FA 2.4.4 and at the System Diagnostic page, the version of PHP required by FA is stated as follows:  PHP version >=5.0.0.  This means, for as long as your PHP version is not lesser than 5.0.0, FA will work fine.  However, this is not factually correct.  I read in other threads that FA is breaking when PHP versions 7.1 or higher is used.  So at the System Diagnostic page stating that for any version higher than 5.0.0 FA is OK, is not 100% correct.

I see a lot of users struggling on PHP versions and most likely the db versions too -- would it be high time to categorical state the versions of the software stack, which FA is built and tested to work without hiccups?

Re: Exact Software Stack Supported

FA now is working fine with PHP 7.1 or higher.
Since this commit

Phuong

Re: Exact Software Stack Supported

The "higher" part is not a safe assumption.  PHP 8 is soon coming out, so if FA developers state, it will work with 7.1 or "higher", that would be a sweeping claim that it will work with that PHP version even if it has not been tested yet.

Rather than stating "7.1 or higher" or 5.0.0 or higher, I think the more factually correct approach would be to categorically state the exact versions that the software has been "actually tested" to work. For example stating that it works on 5.5, 5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 is a succinct way to guide the users.