Topic: Customer statement reflecting wrong balance

I have got a problem with one customer's account. This customer's balance is correct in "customer balances", however, it does not reflect the same on the statement. I send out bulk statements to all our customers at once. When sending I select "no" for "show also allocated", because I only want it to show what is outstanding and I also don't want to send out zero statements. We have many old clients on the system with zero balances and they don't want to receive a monthly statement. Also when I do select "yes" for "show also allocated" then it shows the complete history of all the customers' transactions which means every customer will get a statement of like 5 or more pages. Which I don't want.

This is the first time I've had the problem with a customer's account where the balance differs when selecting "yes" and "no". All other customers have the exact same balance it is just the list of transactions showing that is different. I have reallocated the payments several times, but nothing helps. I've noticed that a zero credit note shows on the customer balance, however I cannot find that credit note on the system anywhere. I don't know if that could be causing the problem.

To summarise, when I select YES for "show also allocated" the amount is correct, when I select NO, it shows the customer has a credit with us which is not correct. When I go to "add and manage customers" and select their transaction history, everything there is perfect, total at the top is correct. It is only on the statement where I have the problem.

Re: Customer statement reflecting wrong balance

@joe: any solution?

@Joe? Please I need urgent help

I will have a look at this. There have been no changes to this report during the last ten years. But there might be something nagging.

Joe

Wild guess: maybe the customer statement report should screen voided transactions like the other customer balance methods mentioned?

@Braathwaate, your wild guess used to be good wink

Joe

Hello again Guys.

I have made some investigations into this and I cannot find anything wrong. Please help me. It might be an old bug belonging to the  voiding history.

@Braate Wathe, if you have a possible solution, please provide it, so we can help @hanneli.

Joe

@hannelie can you please confirm if you void transactions and if there is any relation between voided transactions and customer balances; i.e. customer balances that are wrong - were any of their transactions voided.

Can you also state what version of FA you are using.

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

@hanneli

When the customer balance of the specific customer in question is incorrect on the statements, does the statement add up correctly?  If not, the problem is a arithmetic error; otherwise, if the statement does add up, the problem is either missing or additional transactions, given that the balance is correct when viewed in other ways.   

When you said that the customer statement shows an additional credit that is not correct, it made me suspect the latter case.  If the problem is indeed an extra transaction (i.e. credit) that should not be there, and cannot be found elsewhere in the system, then I am guessing that this is a voided transaction, although I do not have a theory why the "show also allocated" would make any difference.  In any case, it would suggest that the sql to locate transactions on the customer statement report is in error, if those transactions are not the same as shown in other parts of the system.

If you can isolate the problematic transaction, which perhaps you already have, then you can examine the database for more clues, using the data from this transaction to find it using the mysql client.

I also added void screening to the customer statement in https://github.com/braathwaate/frontac24/blob/master/rep108.php.  You could try replacing your core/rep/rep108.php with this file.  However, it is just a wild guess at this point that it would work.

@joe: see if you want to implement @braathwaate's version of rep108.php, diff attached.

Post's attachments

rep108_bw.diff 2 kb, 11 downloads since 2018-10-05 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

@apmuthu

Just waiting for a response from @hannelie. I guess we should make this change anyhow, but it would be nice if it also helps @hannelie.

/Joe

This has been committed to stable.

The fixed file, rep108.php, can be downloaded here.

Joe

13 (edited by hannelie 10/08/2018 07:16:26 am)

Hi, thanks a lot. I have not voided any transactions that I am aware of. Could I have done this accidentally without following the steps of: Setup > Maintenance > Void a transaction? I use version 2.4.4

poncho1234 wrote:

@hannelie can you please confirm if you void transactions and if there is any relation between voided transactions and customer balances; i.e. customer balances that are wrong - were any of their transactions voided.

Can you also state what version of FA you are using.

Thank you. Should I download this? And then should I upload it to my FA somehow?

joe wrote:

This has been committed to stable.

The fixed file, rep108.php, can be downloaded here.

Joe

Yes. Overwrite the existing file.

I am sorry but I have no idea how to do that. Please could you give me detailed instructions. I'm just a bookkeeper, don't know anything about coding, forgive the ignorance. Haha...

apmuthu wrote:

Yes. Overwrite the existing file.

In /reporting rename the existing rep108.php to something like rep108OLD.php, then copy the new file into the /reporting directory/folder

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

18 (edited by hannelie 10/11/2018 06:50:07 am)

Thank you. Done... However it did not fix the problem. The only thing I can think of to do now is to create a new customer account for this customer and to redo all their transactions?

I managed to fix the problem! Yay! The only place I could see the zero amount credit note was when I listed customer balances. It didn't show up in their transaction history or anywhere else. So I looked up the credit note number (which I still have no idea where it came from), went to "void transactions" and voided that zero credit note. It now displays the correct amount on the statement when I select both "yes" or "not" for "show also allocated". I am so relieved. Thanks so much for all your help.

Go to Banking and General Ledger -> General Ledger Reports -> Audit Trail...It may give you a clue how the CN was created