Logged in as admin
Company Setup
tick Search Item List
tick Update
logout.. login as admin
Items and Inventory
Items
all options are grayed .. the only option is to add a new Item
Go back and untick Search Item list in Company setup brings all options back..

Is this  bug or am I doing something wrong?

Re: Search Item List

With Search Item List enabled you can search Item by typing name's strings to search box
With Search Item List disabled you can search Item by Item's code only.

So it is a feature, not a bug. But seems this feature is not very helpful, both 2 options should be combined.

Phuong

@notrinos
What I meant if I enable Search Item List in company setup I am not able to edit any Items.. Is this not a bug?

What page are you trying to edit the items?

What can you edit or not edit?

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

@rafat, it looks like bug. But one question. Did you enable the editable description for the item from the inventory module.?

Subscription service based on FA
HRM CRM POS batch Themes

@kvvaradha yes editable description is enabled.
@poncho1234 Items and Inv -- Maintenance -- Items
All the existing items are not shown. The only option is New Item from the pull down menu.

I think you enabled "Search Item List" . So goto "Setup->Company Setup -> Search Item List" Uncheck the checkbox and try it.  If you still face issues. You can comment again

Subscription service based on FA
HRM CRM POS batch Themes

Yes .. this was my original question .. if I enable Search Item list does it disable Items edits? Is there a reason for that?

Just a couple of notes:
1) You don't need to log out and log back in for this change to take effect.
2) I am seeing the same behavior, if I select the "search item list", "search customer list", or "search supplier list" options, I cannot select an existing item, customer, etc.

There is an entry box for items (not customers or suppliers), but typing into it does nothing, as far as I can tell.

I've changed (fixed) these search functions in my fork so that clicking the boxes do not change how the drop down lists work, but just adds the ability to search by keyword.   I also have an autocomplete feature so that the search matches are displayed after each key is typed.  And I have also enabled the enter key universally, which is often (perhaps always?) discarded in FA.  So the following advice I have might not work in vanilla FA.

But try this:

1. Comment out the following code in ui_lists.php:

/*
            if ($txt == '') {
                if ($spec_option === false && $selected_id == array())
                    $limit = ' LIMIT 1';
                else
                    $opts['where'][] = $valfield . "=". db_escape(get_post($name, $spec_id));
            }
            else
*/

Then your drop down lists should still work with the boxes checked.

2. After typing in the search box, try the tab key, which allows ajax to update the page.   The matched search items would then appear in the drop down list.   I believe vanilla FA matches on item number, not description.

3.  For the customer/supplier lists, type a space key in the drop down list to display the search box.  Enter the search text and tab should allow ajax to update the page

@Braath Waate your suggestion works for me at 2.4.4 but dont know if vanilla or not. I lost track.