Topic: Journal Entry Extra Field Appearing

FA 2.4, I usually use journal entries to enter my fixed monthly bank charges. But something strange is happening. When I select my bank account under "Account Description", a new column pops up before the "Debit" column called "Counterparty" and is populated with one of my suppliers. There is no option to delete the Counterparty entry. What is this column for and why does it suddenly show up?

I have noted it only shows up in the default bank account, no other bank account has it showing up when I select it.

Re: Journal Entry Extra Field Appearing

Start with Bank Charges and then choose the bank Account when making the Journal Entry.

Worked like a charm! Cheers.

I have the same issue since upgrading from 2.3 to 2.4.
Unfortunately your solution described does not work for me. No matter whether I put the bank account first or second for a journal entry it will insist on the counterparty entry which defaults some vendor and can't be changed therefore making these entries impossible.

I am currently on version Version 2.4.3 Build 09.12.2017, does the latest 2.4 build fix this?

While I am sure there are good reasons for this feature, it strikes me as a little troublesome that there does not seem any way to either disable it nor prevent the automatic opt-in that seems to have resulted from the upgrade.
If this requires a tweak to a config file I am comfortable to do this... that said the documentation of this feature in the Wiki is virtually non existent which doesn't help either. I would be grateful for pointers on how to fix this.
Thank you.

I am also unable to understand the logic behind this feature and the mysterious work-around and I recently posted a bug report which is related.  http://mantis.frontaccounting.com/view.php?id=4475.  Along with the report, I took a crack at fixing this bug simply by removing the subtype per-line check.

If the bank account is listed in a supplier as an accounts payable account or in a customer as an accounts receivable account, the counterparty field shows up.   So if you do not want the counterparty field, then find the supplier/customer and change it to go to a different account.  If you want to use a different counterparty, then add that bank account to that supplier/customer.

There should be a simple way to turn this "feature" off. I don't want to pay my vendors from a separate account which would require me to add another entry to transfer the balance to the CC where it should have been in the first place, and I need to use my CC account for all sorts of things.

The Customer Branch / Suppliers page can be set to have default accounts Receivable / Payable account.

... and they are set to default to my CC account because I don't have a credit account with my suppliers. I just pay them on my CC. My old system didn't do purchase orders or inventory, so this is something I haven't dealt with before. Is there something wrong with just putting the vendor purchase on my credit-card payable account?

Usually the supplier would have the default A/P account or a G/L expense account.  Then to pay a supplier (without use a P/O), you would use bank account payment entry and set the From: to the CC account (which was set up as a bank account).

So there is nothing wrong with putting the vendor purchase on a CC card, if it was set up as a bank account.  But it appears to me that you are trying to use the CC card G/L account directly, and you put that G/L account on the supplier default Payable account.

That is exactly what I did (put the Credit care payable account as the default payable account on the vendor) because that's how my vendor accounts are set-up; the vendor automatically bills my credit card.

FA does not have a way to assign a bank (or cc) account to a particular supplier that would pop up when the supplier is selected for payment.   I suppose it would be a nice feature if it would do this, although I personally would not use it because the only suppliers that have my credit card are periodic payments like electricity, subscriptions, etc and I handle that with an auto pay extension.

Using the payables account in the manner you have described is unusual because normally a cc card would be used to pay for a variety of G/L accounts, for example, utilities, insurance, consumables, auto & travel, etc.   When a payment is made, the payables account would be one of these G/L accounts and the bank account would be the cc card.

Braath Waate wrote:

Using the payables account in the manner you have described is unusual because normally a cc card would be used to pay for a variety of G/L accounts, for example, utilities, insurance, consumables, auto & travel, etc.   When a payment is made, the payables account would be one of these G/L accounts and the bank account would be the cc card.

I don't need a payables account for every type of expense, because I simply enter the amount against the correct expense account and add it to credit card payable. If I had a special payable account, I'd just have to immediately mark it paid using the credit card.

I have a CPA audit my books and I've never had a complaint about putting expenses on a credit-card payable account in 25 years.

Well, I am at a loss to say anything further.

I am still guessing you neglected to create a "bank account" for your "credit card" (https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/index.php?n=Help.BankAccounts).

I am then guessing you are trying to directly use the General Journal to directly enter CC expenses using the CC G/L account rather than using Supplier payment or Bank Payment.

That can work, except if you create any suppliers with that CC card as the accounts payable account, which apparently you have done.   I don't think putting the CC G/L account into the supplier is helping you any, and is causing the GJ counterparty problem using this mode of operation.    If you just want to mark the supplier as being paid by CC for informational purposes, you can do that in the supplier bank account field.

Sorry I haven't been able to help.

No need to apologize. I'm just trying to understand, and you've been helpful in explaining the way F.A. works. I'll just have to make adjustments to my workflow.

I guess all I really wanted was for the journal entry to work the same way as payments in that I can select "miscellaneous" instead of being forced to select a vendor. I don't usually use the journal entry, but I was doing something different and I encountered this. I ended up putting in multiple payments, rather than entering a single journal entry.