Topic: The GL account selected is already in use. Select another GL account.

Bank Accounts > Add new account (Petty cash in our case)

1) Why is 1065 Petty Cash set to USD by default? It makes no sense why Currency is set before installation is complete and I have had a chance to set my default currency - EUR for example.
After deleting all the transaction form "Void a Transaction" menu, I still cant change 1065 Petty Cash currency to something useful so I had to deactivate it.

2) Added new GL account 1064 for petty cash, made some transactions to that account. Few days later realized, I better set up a petty cash account from Bank Accounts > Add new account.
No can do.
I selected my new GL account and I get: The GL account selected is already in use. Select another GL account.

This looks like a bug. Is there a workaround or fix?

Re: The GL account selected is already in use. Select another GL account.

When you create a new company, please use an empty COA (no transactions) if you plan to use another currency than USD.

It is not possible to void transactions for later deletion of accounts.

This is due to audit trails.

Joe

3 (edited by RandomName 07/03/2015 12:17:10 pm)

OK, but why can't I connect my GL account 1064 to new petty "cash account" I set up (see problem 2)

Because you did some tranactions on the GL account before linking to the bank account.

Joe

5 (edited by RandomName 07/03/2015 07:25:00 pm)

joe wrote:

Because you did some tranactions on the GL account before linking to the bank account.

Joe

So? This limitation makes absolutely no sense to me.

Only reason I want to make this link is so it shows up in some drop down menu.

BTW we do not have (and never had) so called "checking accounts" because nobody uses cheques here. smile

ok, mate,

you are free to select Another ERP system that may suit you better.

/joe

joe wrote:

ok, mate,

you are free to select Another ERP system that may suit you better.

/joe

Your response to a possible bug is really strange and makes me feel a bit concerned about the health and future of this project.
Honestly, this restriction makes no sense to me and this is only reason why I thought it's a bug. Nothing personal.

BTW, how many developers and testers works on this project?

This not a bug, just reality is different you think it is.

RandomName wrote:
joe wrote:

Because you did some transactions on the GL account before linking to the bank account.

Joe

So? This limitation makes absolutely no sense to me.

When you have any transaction entered in system which references to some existing entity in database (e.g. account) you cannot just delete the entity, because you will end with inconsistent database content. You will have transactions which references to nonexistent accounts. The account (even if is no more used) have to stay in database, but you can inactivate it, so it will not be used for new transactions.

Is that so hard to understand?

RandomName wrote:

Your response to a possible bug is really strange and makes me feel a bit concerned about the health and future of this project.

You should not worry about the project health. If you need help you would make better sharing your questions without aggressive comments, which seems arise  from your weak knowledge of widely accepted accounting system requirements.

Janusz

Hi well new to the FA kindly if some breakthrough in this regard to add the GL account), later on in the Bank Account (Portal). I require to add this thing for quick entries . Regards

Create an account for you bank in the chart_master - Banking & GL => GL Accounts
Then assign / link that account as a Bank Account - Banking & GL => Bank Accounts
Thereafter, you can use it in Quick Entries like normally.