Topic: Customer Credit Note

Brief history:

Because revenue from a processed sales order (and subsequent delivery and invoice) hit the wrong bank account (went to Petty Cash instead of the intended bank), I needed to reverse the transaction.  I used the "Credit This" icon next to the customer transaction which effectively reversed all of the GL transactions except now I'm left with a debit balance in Petty Cash and credit balance in Accounts Receivables.  I allocated the available credit note for the customer but it did not seem to affect anything in the GL.

I planned to use the Payments option under Banking and GL, but I cannot figure out which GL accounts to use.  I've selected the customer to which payment needs to be made, selected the Petty Cash bank account to draw money from, and selected my AR account.  FA will not let me process this though.  It reports "Settled amount have to be positive number".

The only other option I can think of is to do a JE against Petty Cash and AR.  I'd rather not, hoping that there is simply a process I am not seeing.

Help

Re: Customer Credit Note

Txn 1: When Customer paid, the payment was sent to Petty Cash instead of the specific Bank.
Txn 2: Allocations have been made from this payment into one or more Sales Invoices.

If you have a backup before and after each transaction, you may be able to revert just the payment alone to the appropriate bank account if you are unable to edit the payment itself. The backups can be compared using the likes of WinMerge.

Is there a reason you couldn't just transfer money from petty cash to the bank account, in this case?

If the customer paid by non-cash means, say by cheque, then it would go directly to bank but still needs to be allocated to the appropriate sales invoice(s).