Re: Recurring Invoices ... A Problem

@apmuthu Increasingly in modern web development there is a difference between what you code and what your ship / deploy. e.g. If using bootstrap you might code using scss fragments that are built (webpack, gulp etc) into a single css file that is shipped.  Similarly for javascript, and also for any php dependencies.

I've been using composer, npm, webpack, bower (when that was something) for many years now.  There are always issues with anything, but I've found the benefits to be well worth it.

The object oriented paradigm and auto load have long been core features in php for more than 10 years now. It would be nice to see FA move with the times :-)

Cambell https://github.com/cambell-prince

FA is built for "non" computer programming professional users accustomed to the very permissive and then loosely typed PHP versions from PHP 4.x onwards to 5.3.x. Many have been long time users of FA and stability and easy understand-ability are more important than esoteric latest is greatest paradigms. I subscribe to the old fashioned procedural style where individual files are not combined by "less" and "autoloaded" by the likes of composer. To each his own.... When Sun took PHP/MySQL over they tried to make it a clone of Java/JSP. When Oracle took that over from them, they tried to make it really complex by changing even the simple array construct to practically break everything hitherto.

I agree with @apmuthu. I am not very good at php but since the FA code is very simple I could have managed to do some customizations for my need. Unlike I tried to read to code of Recurring Module shared by @cambell but it is too difficult for me to understand unless I am a good user of composer type things. Anyway both of you are very important resource for us smile

www.boxygen.pk

@boxygen that's kinda funny.  Most of the recurring module is a copy and paste of FA core.  I hear what you're saying, I remember teaching Object Oriented Programming to beginners at a community college in the '90's.  The students found object oriented concepts difficult to grasp.

The recurring module is a little complex - but, I think less complex than the existing FA implementation of a similar feature.

30 (edited by boxygen 10/12/2017 01:47:12 pm)

@cambell may be you are right but since I have already spent a lot of time to understand FA style of coding, I felt your code a little complex. And yes you are right I am among those students who found OOP difficult to grasp. smile

I hope my incongruous feedback won't stop you from sharing things to FA۔ sad

www.boxygen.pk

@cambell I shall mention that with the help of your extension I have learned one great thing. I have learned how to manage the whole menu structure of the FA from any single module.

Thanks a lot

www.boxygen.pk

@cambell are you using this module currently? Because I have faced a very strange behaviour from this module. I entered almost 10 recurring invoices of 10 different customers. ON due date I selected the Check All Check Box and Clicked the Generate Invoice BUtton to send invoices to all.

Invoices were created but each customer has received invoice ten times in email. It has simply multiplied the number of times each email with number of recurring invoices. sad

www.boxygen.pk

The Mail Send seems to be placed in the wrong inner loop.....

@boxygen. Yes, I'm using the recurring module in production.  I'll have a look.  I'm pretty sure that's not happened to me.

35 (edited by cambell 11/05/2017 03:00:13 pm)

@boxygen. I don't have that problem myself.  However, I can see that rep107.php does have the ability to send multiple emails if the from invoice number and to invoice number are not equal.  The recurring module sets these equal so it should only ever send one email for each invoice generated.  Do you have any other modules loaded?

I have other modules too. I will check in isolation then revert to you.

www.boxygen.pk