Topic: Taxes not appearing on invoices

I had a tax group with two tax rates that was working fine (call them Tax1 and Tax2.  I decided to add two other taxes in a new group for another set of customers (tax 3 and tax4).  For some invoices I want tax1 and tax2 together, and for other invoices I want tax3 and tax4 together.

After creating the new tax group I notice that the taxes in the first tax group do not appear at all on invoices.  When I switch to a customer defined with the new group, tax3 and tax4 show up as expected.  I can't get invoices to show tax1 and tax2 which were originally okay.

Please help explain/troubleshoot.  Thanks.

Re: Taxes not appearing on invoices

Provide a before and after backup to study if any other entries are needed.

3 (edited by apmuthu 08/30/2016 01:22:56 pm)

Attached is the series of screenshots and those needed to correct it from the FA Web UI. Tax exemption are not taxes leviable. Item tax exemptions are for item based exceptions only.

References:
https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/index.php?n=Help.TaxTypes
https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/index.php?n=Help.TaxGroups
https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/index.php?n=Help.ItemTaxTypes

Post's attachments

Solar_Light_Corrections.zip 175.9 kb, 11 downloads since 2016-08-30 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thanks for tracking down the problem.  I could have sworn I didn't select those exemptions in the Tax Type.  I unchecked them and the taxes now appear on the invoices as expected.  However, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the .txt and .sql files.  Please clarify.

5 (edited by apmuthu 09/01/2016 05:23:42 am)

The .txt files are the relevant tax tables subset of the sql backup - before and after fixing. They may be viewed in a diff program like WinMerge in Windows to see what changes occurred in the db to get it fixed.

The .sql file is to directly execute in a mysql client like SQLyog, phpMyAdmin, etc if you wanted to set it right without entering in the FA's web UI.

If you followed the screenshots, then you can ignore the .txt and .sql files. They are there for studying the issue and alternative means of fixing for the "gifted and lazy" sysadmins....

Understood - thanks!

Hello,
I have the same problem where I can't get the tax row to show up on sales orders or invoices.
When I create a sales order, the customer is a 'retail' which is a sales type with the 'tax included' box NOT ticked, the items show as 'price before tax' but no mention of GST.

I can provide additional details but I'm not sure where to start.

@alanmc:
Your issue could be coming from the tax_group, if you have not included the item tax into the taxable group(s).

See if my steps below might help:

Define your taxes first>>> Tab SETUP--> TAX_TYPES
Each tax_type with one ledger account

Define your tax groups>>> SETUP --> TAX_GROUPS
In my case I have Tax and Tax_Exempt.
Make sure of the tax_type that will be included in each tax_group where it says "Select the taxes that are included in this group".

Define your Item tax types>>> SETUP --> ITEM_TAX_TYPES
In My case I have Regular(15%), Services(6.25%) and Exempt.
Make sure each Item_tax_type is related to its corresponding Tax_Type.

Go to your item, tab ITEMS_AND_INVENTORIES --> ITEMS
Select your item and make sure you have included the correct Item_tax_type for the item.

Then go to tab SALES and down in Maintenance, select SALES_TYPES
Make sure you tick tax_included on the Sale_Type you want tax included, and untick it if you want it excluded.

You would see that when you attempt to create a quotation or invoice, changing from Retail to Wholesale (or however you have named your sales_types) the taxes would be included or excluded immediately on the invoice.

You may give a look to the SETUP Wiki to read extensively on the taxes at the SETUP tab.

Wow, thanks for the fast reply, Alberto,

I have;

tax_types > GST, 5.3%, 2150 Sales Tax
           tax_group > GST, tax applied to shipping - NO, taxes included in this group - GST (5.3%) checked
   item_tax_types > Retail, is fully tax exempt - NO, tax type which is exempt - NONE checked
                 items > Retail
          sales_type > Retail, calc factor - 1.000%, tax included - unchecked

I can see that the price header in the Sales Order form changes from 'Price Before Tax' to 'Price Including Tax' when I change the drop-down 'Price List' from Retail to Wholesale but there never is any sales tax indicated near the sub-total and is not included in the 'Amount Total'

What am I missing?

10 (edited by albertolima 09/30/2016 07:07:38 am)

@alanmc,

The selected customer branch must also be GST.
Then you attempt to test by creating a sales quotation
Add the item to the quotation
Here you would see that changing the price list from Retail to Wholesale shows different taxes on the invoice, included and excluded.

It works for me on all my many setups, unless there is a bug in some of the versions that I do not know about.
Maybe you would share a zip of your FA files, and exported .sql database, might help to understand.

I am using v2.4rc

Rgds.

@albertolima,

You're absolutely correct. Under Sales > Branch, my customer, who is an individual, had 'Tax Exempt' as his Tax Group.
I changed it to Taxable. Now, when a taxable Item is added to a Sales Order, the 'Sales Tax (5.3%)' row appears.

Thanks a million!

I am happy it helped. There is a very nice Wiki about taxes here

Rgds.

13 (edited by Rodger 12/27/2016 07:24:58 am)

A bit of a novice here but if this helps someone else with their headache...

I was having the same problem but was unable to find the cause or solution here or in the wiki.

What I found after beating my head on the keyboard for a few hours, was that you may also need to check your settings in:

Sales ->> Sales Types

If the box marked " Tax included: " is checked, FrontAccounting seems to assume that the tax is already included in the item price. Therefore, tax will not show on the sales order or invoice.

It was hinted at by alanmc in one of his replies above but I completely missed it.

Updated Wiki with the Tax Inclusion info.