1 (edited by lizmilner 02/22/2016 09:14:56 pm)

Topic: Negative zero values in Balance sheet

Two years ago I did a journal entry to transfer the balance of an asset account from one asset account to a different one. At that stage I would get an opening balance with the same value as a negative in the "period" and a zero close balance.

2014 End of year processed.

That account has not been (and will not be) used again since then. In subsequent Balance sheets that account is still displayed even though it is empty but now it is shown with a -0.00 opening balance , 0.00 in the period & a -0.00 closing balance.

2015 end of year processed.

It still shows in balance sheets. Is there a way of no longer showing this account when generating the balance sheet? It will never be used again as that asset is no longer owned. I have tried de activating the account and it makes no difference.

Re: Negative zero values in Balance sheet

It seems that the original account have some records with some decimal left over.
I would make a backup of your company to an sql file.
By an editor you could look up your transactions for the original account and fix the decimals to your normal ones.
Be careful, though. Maybe you should spare an extra copy of your backup, should yo do some mistakes.
When you are ready, then restore the corrected sql file on your company.

Hopefully it should not show up now.

/Joe

Hi Joe,

thanks for your answer. I have downloaded the current sql file and looked at all the transactions (gl_trans) in the table for that account. None of them have a transaction with anything but two decimal places in the amount field.

I have also tried taking a backup and restoring from that backup as all the transactions in the downloaded sql file only have 2 decimal points (thinking if anything was floating around in there that should get rid of it). No change.

I am understanding from what you are saying that it could potentially be the way the values are stored internally - somewhere in there the system is identifying a 0.0000 ....00001 value and thus not recognising that the field is in fact 0.00. Not sure I can change that.

Any other suggestions? I have only ever entered fields to 2 decimal places in these particular accounts,

Liz

Well, this is an annoyance for you. I can understand that.
Maybe someone else can cast some light on this, please.
I cannot see what else could be a factor of this. If the summation of 2 decimal values could not be balanced normally, I can't understand. Please help us here.

/Joe

Check the MySQL and platform versions. Also do a query to take the difference of the field value from a zero constant. It is possible to assign 0 instead of 0.00 in the insert statement in the backup sql and re-import it.