Topic: Cost Update Changes the Opening Value.

I am a new user from Bangladesh.
There are opening Balance of Inventory with a specific rate with accordance to the value in Balance sheet, say as of July 01, 2015. When I purchase a certain quantity of the same item today with a different rate, an automatic cost update takes place calculate an average cost which should be fine for today onward.
But the problem is, when I check my inventory valuation as of July 01, 2015, the rate is changed to cause the value to be different even though the quantity remained the same as it was.

Re: Cost Update Changes the Opening Value.

Once the item is bought in local currency equivalent at certain forex rate, it becomes valued in local currency in the opening balance. Any replenishment value in current forex rate will need to be manually assessed at time of fresh purchase / new sale if intended.

Hi apmuthu, your prompt reply is highly appreciated.

As I mentioned in the beginning that I am a new user and it just might be my lacking in understanding!

I understand that the fresh purchase rate has to be manually assessed and when I do that the automatic cost update takes the average of the old rate and the new rate and which is absolutely right.
But when I call for a report of inventory valuation of a past date prior to this fresh Purchase with new cost rate, it shows the new average rate of that particular inventory item which changes the value of that particular item, when the fresh purchase is yet to occur in a future date!

Shouldn't the new average rate be effective from and/or after the fresh purchase took place and Not before?

4 (edited by apmuthu 01/27/2016 07:10:09 pm)

In FA 2.3 there is only 1 field each to keep track of current stock and average rate now. Hence, getting a past rate is impossible unless you backtrack recursively....