1 (edited by Marc Paré 09/20/2015 09:33:17 am)

Topic: Dimensions and liabilites

I am trying to understand the use of dimensions and am liking the way it works for our non-profit. I just have this question about how this would work out:

I manage a non-profit music group and wondered how I would work this out (or if what I am doing is right). From time to time, during a particular concert run, and to accommodate the flow of money I do the following (I am using "Bach Bites" as a concert example):

* I personally cover the expenses of the concert "Bach Bites" till the tickets sales income is deposited into our bank account (I have set up a dimension in FA called "Bach Bites"
* I have set up "items" with "Bach Bites" chosen as dimension

Now here is where I get a little confused, I would like to track my costs of the "Bach Bites" concerts using the dimensions, but how do I make sure that my payments to the items where I have covered the costs are also properly noted in FA?

Marc

Re: Dimensions and liabilites

Dimensions are generally used for cost centres. Try Tags first before using dimensions - these are just for groups of transactions pertaining to a specific deal.

Would it be better though to use dimensions if I am going to have a budget for my "Bach Bites"? I am also tracking the ticket income as well as grants/donations.

I was going to group all of my concerts with each its own dimension so that we can budget appropriately for each concert (we are doing around 8 concerts/yr.

@Marc Pere

Please read about how to use the dimensions in the Wiki.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I did read most of the wiki ... but also took the advice of this thread with regards to non-profit use of FrontAccounting here: https://frontaccounting.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=2628

I think this would work with tracking our costs/expenses for our concerts, is this not correct?

Marc

Yes, it should work perfectly for you.

Joe