Topic: Customer Balance Report

The customer aged analysis (CAA) total and the customer balance report (CBR) total does not balance to the debtors control account in the general ledger when running these reports for past dates.

When we run a report for past dates, if an invoice has been paid after the past reporting date the invoice will not show as outstanding on the CAA and CBR.

Example if on 18 Sept 2014 I run the CAA and CBR as at 30 June 2014 I will see the following

CBR - charges and credits will be correct at the reporting date, but the allocated column and the outstanding column will show transactions/balance up to today's date.

CAA - an invoice outstanding at 30 June 2014, but paid on 17 Sept 2014 will not appear as outstanding on the CAA if I run the report for 30 June 2014 on 18 September 2014.

As a result the CAA and CBR report meaningless/misleading results for past dates.

Re: Customer Balance Report

I will have a look at this. The problem here is that the allocated amount is a fixed value on the transactions.

We will have to do a join with the allocation tables to get this right. Will have a Close look and I will be back later.

/Joe

Hello again Mark.

I you want a Customer Balance report to be like the GL, you will have to select 'Show Balance' instead for the report. The report will only show the transactions without care of allocations in that case.

In the Ages Analysis you will have to select 'Show also allocated' to get the correct GL result.

The Allocated in the reports shows only the fixed allocation on the debtor transactions. In turns out to be extremely much work to change this to show dynamic allocations all over FA.

/Joe

Wiki-ed it.

Hi Joe

Thanks for that.

For the Customer Aged Analysis, the terminology "Show Also Allocated" is not easy to understand.

If I choose "Yes" then what happens is that only customer payments to the report date are reflected on the customer aged analysis. Which is what I would expect.

If I choose "No" then what happens is that all customer payments until "today" are reflected on the customer aged analysis even if they were made after the report date.  The balances at the reporting date are therefore wrong.    The report becomes a mixture of sales to the reporting date and receipts till today's date. There should not be an option to generate a wrong report.

It would be less confusing if the option "show also allocated" was set to a default "yes" for the aged analysis and removed from the report options.  In such a case, the aged analysis can** agree to the customer control account in the GL regardless of the reporting date. Which is very important for an accountant or auditor. 

This little change would improve the user experience - making Front more user friendly.

**can agree - if there are no general journals passed direct to the customer control account as these do not reflect in individual customer accounts - it would be great if they could - and if any foreign currency variances have been updated in the system through the revaluation of foreign currency option - which is still necessary to run even you select automatic revaluation of foreign currency accounts in company set up. 

Mark

You are right, Mark. This has now been fixed and the 'Show Also Allocated' is default set to 'Yes'. HG repository is updated and the fix will go to next minor release.

With this 'Show Also Allocated' set to 'Yes', this report shows the same values as the on screen aged values for a selected customer/supplier in customer and supplier transactions. This is good.

Thanks again, Mark, for your help.

/Joe

thanks Joe.
Glad to help in some way.