Topic: Backup/Resore vs import/export

We just started using FA and realized that we were on the wrong version.  I had entered JE's
into the old system and I want to move them over.  Can I do a backup on the old version and restore
on the new version to move the transactions over ?

Re: Backup/Resore vs import/export

If you are on the same major version, 2.3.XX, where XX. Is a number between 1 and 20, then you should have no problems doing so.

Joe

Hello,

Thank you all for the amazing work that is going on, unfortunately due to my limited knowledge I am not able to contribute as much.

I started using version 2.4.1 before a few weeks to finally get started on FA, but now I see we have version 2.4.2.

Would it create any problems if I did a back up on version 2.4.1 and then restored that back up on version 2.4.2 ?

I don't want to create all the entries again on newer version(2.4.2), but on other hand I don't want to be using a version which has only been there for few months(2.4.1).

Also, would it be possible to know if there is any plan on another version release in near future for which one should wait ?

Thanks
GJ

In general, overwriting with the FA 2.4.2 code for FA 2.4.1 should do the job. Backup (FA code and mysql) and try it..... Take the cutting edge one from Git/Github.

apmuthu wrote:

In general, overwriting with the FA 2.4.2 code for FA 2.4.1 should do the job. Backup (FA code and mysql) and try it..... Take the cutting edge one from Git/Github.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

But I'll need some guidance here.
When you say Backup (FA code and mysql), does it mean taking a backup from "/setup/backup and restore" or this is some other process of backing up FA code and mysql ?

Sorry if this is supposed to be too basic a task, but I rather ask then mess up the setup.

Regards,
GJ

Setup -> Backup/Restore will provide the sql backup.
Copying the webroot of FA in FTP mode (or zip the web folder that has the FA code) will save the FA codebase your are using.

The changed files zip is available in the announcement for FA 2.4.2 - see posts #4 and #12.

Thanks a lot.

I think I know now what I need to do.

Basically do a "backup restore" from within FA and then overwrite the 2.4.1 folders with new folders from 2.4.2 using Filezilla ?

Take a backup from FileZilla before uploading the new files.