1 (edited by dtbeancounter 04/23/2014 02:40:25 pm)

Topic: Upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04LTS broke frontaccounting

With the release of 14.04LTS, I upgraded my 13.10 install to 14.04. And my frontaccounting was broken on restart.

I reverted back to my 13.10 backup and restored the system to that 'older' state because frontaccounting has to be running.

I just wanted to post here that I had an issue and for others to be careful.

This weekend, when I have more time and the system is not in use, I will try again and then I will be able to determine what broke the frontaccounting.

Current system is a non-gui Ubuntu 13.10 server (updates current as of today) that is running frontaccounting v2.3.19 (was going to upgrade to 2.3.20, now, do that later.)

If anyone has suggestions of what I need to look at or has any experience (or success) with their Ubuntu 14.04 upgrade, I would sure appreciate hearing ideas and thoughts.

Or should I upgrade frontaccounting first?

Re: Upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04LTS broke frontaccounting

I have Frontaccounting working on a Linux Mint 14 (Ubuntu 12.10) installation for more than a year, with no major problems (a small hotel in Leon, Nicaragua).  I have planned to transfer the installation to the LT Linux Mint 17/ Ubuntu 14.04 to make sure there is support for the next 5 years, so I am trying this out on another computer to see how it works.
I have now installed Frontaccounting 2.3.21 on a LAMP installation on Mint 17 with no major issues - the main change is that FA has to be placed in var/www/html instead of directly in var/www. What is not working, however, are the extensions.  When I try to install another COA, language or extension, I get the answer "Could not open". The rest seems to be working. I have made a backup of data from my working computer, and that looks fine. I have no deeper knowledge on PHP, but I suspect that the change of location of FA to /var/www/html means that I have to change some configuration file, but I don't know which one. But it might also be something else altogether.  So I think I will have to stay put with Mint 14 until I find a solution. Any suggestions? smile

I have now tried to change the default location for Apache 2 to var/www as suggested here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/448944/where-to-place-my-local-website-starting-with-the-2-4-7-version-of-apache2
This does not solve the issue, so this is obviously not the cause.

Another possibility suggested elsewhere in this forum is that is has to do with Ubuntu 14.04 using php 5.5.9, which has some problem with older MYSQL code. A possibility is therefore to downgrade to php 5.4.9. I have tried but had problems with getting the repositories to work, and any way it is not a very good solution as it may create other problems in the future.
If it turns out that the problem is with php 5.5 and older MYSQL code, it might be worth to try to identify and update these snippets in FA, as Ubuntu 14.04 is a long term support release, which will probably be used by many users.

And then the solution, which actually was somewhere else here in the forum (https://frontaccounting.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=4431¡) :

This may be a bug in the archive.inc code that handles the unpacking of the tar archive. In version 2.3.x around line 327 of archive.inc (se encuentra en el archivo “includes”) the prefix and name are not decoded after the unpack. Putting an rtrim around the prefix and name fixes this issue, i.e.

'name' => rtrim($temp['prefix']) . rtrim($temp['name']),

Even if this solution is for a WAMP installation, it solved the issue also in the LAMP installation - at least for me. smile