Topic: Instructions

Please address questions about various charts of accounts here.

We need all the help we can get to make charts of accounts for different company types as well as country specific charts.

You can send us comma delimited files to admin

Re: Instructions

how can I make an chart of account?

Hello,
You can either create a company with a en_US-demo.sql and inside this company you can start the translations of the various items that you see, including the chart of accounts. You should probably create this company with the same encoding like your own. This way you can write local characters.
After you are satisfied you can make a backup and download this sql file.

Is this isn't good you can also start from en_US-demo.sql and take this into an editor that can handle your language and same it with the correct language-country-demo.sql.

We look forward to hear that you have managed to make a new chart of accounts.

Happy translating.

Best regards
Joe
PS. You can also download the ar_EG language pack and use that as a template when creating the company.

4 (edited by p2409 02/22/2009 11:41:02 am)

I'm sending an Australian services company based chart of accounts through. Caters for Australian taxes and has a GL chart suitable for a service business (eg. software devt). Hope someone finds it useful, or even better, improves on it!

Update: tried admin@frontaccounting.com - got returned. Which email address should I send it too?

Hello Pete,
Please use joe (dot) hunt (dot) consulting (at) gmail (dot) com. Sorry, I am a little afraid of email harvesting.

Regards
Joe

joe wrote:

Hello,
You can either create a company with a en_US-demo.sql and inside this company you can start the translations of the various items that you see, including the chart of accounts. You should probably create this company with the same encoding like your own. This way you can write local characters.
After you are satisfied you can make a backup and download this sql file.

Helllo Joe, (my first post)
Could you tell me how can i manage to do this?
I'm very interested in translate the whole system.... I mean make a start up table of accounts whith the most common settings, taxes, types for my country. (Argentina)
I have been reading in the forums, playing with the software, but accounts seems to be uneditable or "uneraseable" I have been looking in the database with "myadmin"...but in this way is not practical/safe.
What can I do to access the complete chart of accounts and edit or modify from the demo.sql or from another table set.
Many thanks in advance
I do have to say that I have being looking for an accounting/ERP software for my scenario for a while (about 18 months studying different open source software alternatives)  and I found in FrountAccounting what I was looking for, need some adjustements for my needs but it's really great and simple!
I would like to help "whith my little knowledge" to translate and implement in my languaje

Hello,
if you have a comma separated chart of accounts from another system, you could send it me and I could import it and prepare a chart of accounts for you based on that.
You can sent it to joe (dot) hunt (dot) consulting (at) gmail (dot) com.

/Joe
And thanks for your nice words.

Hi,

Could you show me a sample about the comma separated file?
I have a chart of accounts for my country, I am interesting to import that into FA.
Thank you!

István

Something like this:
acc_no; acc_name; acc_type; ......
49091; Other Sales; Sales; ......
It doesn't really matter how the rows are formatted. Just an explanation on the fields.
Another possibility is to import (if you can) into either M$ Excel or Open Office Calc and export that file. And send it me.

/Joe

Ok, thank you, work in progress.............

Excuse my ignorant question.  I've got a working installation, with just the demo training company on it.  I'm the IT guy for small French company and I want to add a French Chart of Accounts.  I've downloaded the one from the site, but when I look at the file, it would appear that it's replacing THE ENTIRE DATABASE. 

Is this right?  does it squash everything (users, any customization we've already done, etc.)?

I've searched in forum to find a "how to" for installing a chart of accounts and have not found it.  There's undoubtedly a piece of info that it seems that most folks understand straight away, but I don't.  So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You will have to creaate a new company with this chart of account. Log in as super admin (the admin that creted the training co.
Then you can start from scratch.

/Joe

You cannot simply replace one chart of accounts with another, because the COA is not stand alone feature, but is real foundation for any other features in FA. Most tables like suppliers, customers, items, transactions etc. has relations to GL accounts, so first you have to choose right COA, then fill database with other data.

Janusz

So, does "start a new company" (which I've not done yet) mean that one uses a whole separate set of database tables?  Will I be prompted for the COA files in the process?  Is there some sort of doc that tells HOW a COA is installed?  I understand all the technical side, but what are the steps with respect to the application and what are the implications...that's what's missing in my understanding.

Yes, every company uses separated set of tables. All companies created are completely independent. Keep in mind that some (potentially dangerous) options are available only for admin of first created company (the super admin). This includes installing modules and languages, creating new companies and performing system upgrade.
Janusz

I want to install FrontAccounting 2.3.x to a computer that has no internet connection.   How do I make the Indonesian COA available to that FrontAccounting installation?

The easiest way is just to install FA when the box is connetced to interenet. The connection is not required later for normal use. Other option is to copy indonesian COA from working installation where i t is installed and restore it via Creat/Restore Backup.
Janusz

I've just sent Georgian COA in xlsx format, is it OK?

I have answered you directly. We should try to convert this into a SQL script file. If you have the opportunity you should make a backup of the client that is using this COA and send me this backup SQL script.

I will then send it to the global repository.

/Joe

Thank you very  much Joe!

Before I follow your insturctions in the email, I'd like to let you know that account names in COA are truncated. Maxium 22 characters are visable incl spaces. So I think I should make names shorter, right?

What is a small orange triangle with exclamatory mark inside, it shows sometimes when processing, is it an error?

I am not sure how this works in UTF8. The field len for account name is 50. I thought that MySql extended it, but if it doesn't, yes I guess we have to shorten the names.

The orange triangle is a javascript time-out. It maybe an error. More info could be found if the javascript is turned off.

/Joe

I downloaded en_AU-0000.sql and edited the definitions of the GST accounts and added a couple. I then checked for any cross-references in the rest of the file, and found only one, to 2290. When I tried to create a new company, I could not figure out to import this local CoA file. The only choice was to tick one of the Australian CoA options in the company details page.

How do I import a local SQL file?

Regards,
Hedley

1. You just upload it to the /company/X/backup folder, where X is your company number.

Make a search and replace of the table prefix, f.i. If the table prefix in the COA is 0_ then replace it with table prefix for your existing company.

Restore this backup on your existing company.

Remember to take backups before acting.

Joe