Topic: Retail company version

FA is by far the best program I have found that doesn't cost a lot of money.

I am sure that it is fabulous for B-to-B... not so much for retail sales.

With 100 orders a month, most from new customers, it would take me so much longer to enter the customers and the sales receipts that it would be cheaper for me to use QB online for $27 a month - and I don't plan on doing that.

It would be wonderful if someday you might make a few changes to the customer and order entry sections to make it faster and easier to use.

In QB I click on the Sales Receipt icon and paste in the buyers name, and find out if they are an existing customer or not (usually not). In FA I have to hit the space bar and then shift + the key that give me the * and then the tab key...

In QB I enter all the customer information once, on one page. In FA I have to enter it twice, on 2 separate pages.

I still haven't figured out how to process the customer payment in FA.

FA is a fabulous program, and the easiest to install that I have ever encountered. I have it set up the way I want it - but it just takes too much time to enter customer info twice, and the awkward search procedure.

I'd even be willing to pay $100 or so if somebody created a retail business version. Maybe others would be too.

Thanks for listening, and keep up the good work.

Ed

Re: Retail company version

Even in FA it is just one place and one time for each customer / invoice.
Refer Wiki Pages on Add and manage Customers and Sales Quotation Entry (and then convert to Invoice).

Please state the sequence of operations in FA that you used to achieve your end so that we may check on alternative quick modes to achieve the same to match or better QB.

One thing I can think of: it would be nice to have a Direct Invoice and Payment option, where you can enter in the items that are being sold, and apply payment all on the same screen.

If you could have a way to quickly add a customer (ie, Name, email, phone number) on this screen, we'd have something close in functionality to a direct cash sale to a customer.

For clarity, apmathu, currently I have to:

- Add a customer through the Sales menu.
- Direct Invoice them through Sales.
- Apply Payment through Sales.

Three separate steps. Maybe these could somehow be combined on one screen under Direct Sale and Payment?

Our company is mainly B-B and Payments from customers seems awkward to me also.  The way we get most of our sales work are by creating SO's from the Zencart module. Then we do Delivery Against Sales Orders followed by Select Another Order For Dispatch till we have dispatched all the orders from a batch of downloaded orders. We then do Invoice Against Sales Delivery and followed by Select Another Delivery For Invoicing until all Sales Deliveries are invoiced. All of this seems to go well and is pretty fast in batches of 25 or 30 orders at a time. The lists created for these two operations work nicely and the Select Another works as expected.

Now comes the slow awkward part of the process. It seems that the only way to enter customer payments is by clicking Customer Payments.  When I do that, unlike the above process, I am not provided any list of open invoices or list of customers with balances owed to our company.  We have to do a search for each customer by name.  This is a very slow process especially compared just picking a customer/invoice from a list and clicking a button. 

It seems that there should be a pick list of customers/invoices from which we can select the customer for entering a payment so that Payments work just like Dispatch and Invoice.

Thanks,

ed10

apmuthu wrote:

Even in FA it is just one place and one time for each customer / invoice.
Refer Wiki Pages on Add and manage Customers and Sales Quotation Entry (and then convert to Invoice).

Please state the sequence of operations in FA that you used to achieve your end so that we may check on alternative quick modes to achieve the same to match or better QB.

Someone goes to our web site and clicks a Buy Now button, pays by PayPal and we get a notice from PayPal.

In QB, I click the Sales Receipt icon, enter the customer name and address info, hit the Tab key to go to the Sales Receipt screen, enter the item information, and I am done.

In FA, I select one of the invoice options, enter the customer on the Customer Information screen, then I have to go to the customer Branch page and enter info, then I finally get to enter sales information. I'm not sure how to enter payment... and when I was experimented, I tried to correct an error and couldn't... I was stuck with an erroneous transaction.

The process of going to a second page - Customer Branch - the the complicated process to look up customers and items seems to add a minute or so to each transaction. For 100 transactions a month, that's a couple of hours. I can save that time by paying QB $27 a month.

All I need is a simple retail sales process. Even our wholesale customers don't have "branches."

I'm not a bookkeeper, so if I am not explaining clearly, I apologize.

Ed

This kind of workflow can use the SimpleAPI extension to create a single web form which posts directly into FA.

If I understand you correctly, in the QB scenario, you did not have the Customer info in QB to start with and after invoicing as well, you do not have a separate Customer record for each customer - just the invoices with several customer names.

FA can simulate the above using a dummy web / cash customer where the Delivery to can be the real customer and his info. That way you need not add customers for each invoice. Just use the dummy one for all such invoices.

kharding wrote:

For clarity, apmathu, currently I have to:

- Add a customer through the Sales menu.
- Direct Invoice them through Sales.
- Apply Payment through Sales.

Three separate steps. Maybe these could somehow be combined on one screen under Direct Sale and Payment?

No, not exactly. You can make all this on the single Direct Invoice form. Just enter Direct Invoice page, press F2 when you are focused on customer selector, entry new customer info and save it, then use cash payment option which registers also payment to invoice in single step.

ed10 wrote:

Now comes the slow awkward part of the process. It seems that the only way to enter customer payments is by clicking Customer Payments.  When I do that, unlike the above process, I am not provided any list of open invoices or list of customers with balances owed to our company.  We have to do a search for each customer by name.  This is a very slow process especially compared just picking a customer/invoice from a list and clicking a button

But you have list of all not paid invoices under Sales/Customer Allocation Inquiry. Here you can select any unpaid invoice by customer name, and entry payment on screen where you have list of all unpaid invoices for selected customer presented. The only improvement I can see here is adding link back to Customer Allocation Inquiry on final payment  screen, beside this all the payment process use the same scheme like the delivery/invoicing.

Janusz

In QB I enter all the customer information once, on one page. In FA I have to enter it twice, on 2 separate pages.

Well, this is not exactly true. New customer is registered on single page, and default branch is created automatically (unless you use not up to date FA version).

Janusz

10 (edited by apmuthu 11/23/2012 11:23:17 am)

Default Branch is created automatically when a new Customer is added, but is not automatically associated with the Customer as yet.

Wikied the rest.

I didn't try Customer Allocation Inquiry much because I don't think I quite understand how it works.  When I click on the Payment icon, it takes me to Customer Payments page listing the invoices for the customer.  Below the discount info, the amount of the invoice that I clicked appears.  Then in the listing for the invoice, if I click allocate all to the clicked invoice the amount below, is increased by the amount of the invoice.  That makes the payment double.   Why does the allocate all increase the payment amount?

If I just leave the allocation blank and click make payment then the invoice continues to show up in the Customer Allocation Inquiry list and nothing in that list (searching only on sales invoices) shows that the customer made a payment.

It seems that what should happen is when I click allocate all on the proper invoice the payment amount should match the amount of the invoice. Then when the payment is made it is allocated to the invoice and the invoice will not be on the Customer Allocation Inquiry list as open. 

Adding link back to Customer Allocation Inquiry on final payment  screen would be very helpful.

Do I not understand how this works or am I doing something wrong or is the increasing amount of payment by clicking all wrong?

Hope I explained my problems with this.

ed10

12 (edited by kharding 11/23/2012 04:40:08 pm)

itronics wrote:

No, not exactly. You can make all this on the single Direct Invoice form. Just enter Direct Invoice page, press F2 when you are focused on customer selector, entry new customer info and save it, then use cash payment option which registers also payment to invoice in single step.

Is there any way we can have textual or button links to these F# key functions? I use a Mac operating system primarily, or use mobile tablet devices, that do not have F keys in the Windows sense and as such have no access to these pop-ups.

And - how do you get to the "cash payment option"? I can't see any indication of how to directly access this from the Direct Invoice screen.

@apmuthu:
I'm not sure what you mean, but maybe you have not encountered new $auto_create_branch switch in config.php, which have to be set to create the linked defualt customer branch automatically.

@ed10:
Oh yes, the amount doubling is just a bug, I will fix it in next minor version (I personally work on customized FA version, and seems I've forgot to send bufix back to main sources some time ago). In mean time you can allocate payments to invoices using Allocate Payments or Customer Credit Notes page.

@kharding:
Ok, maybe this is good idea to add additional icon additinally to F# keys. I will try to add this in some next FA version.
Regarding the cash payment - this feature works just automatically when you select payment terms of cash type.

Janusz

Janusz:

Adding link back to Customer Allocation Inquiry on final payment  screen, would be a big improvement. I sort of like links that take you right where you need to go and the default screen when you get there is set just like it is needed.

As long as your messing with Customer Allocation, it would sure be nice to be able to sort by customer or by Order number the way you have it for date.  That would add considerable usabliity for finding either a range of dates or where there are several customers with almost the same name, example University of xxxxx or 1st National xxx.

Along with this, after invoicing from delivery, it would be helpful to have a link there to either call the Customer Allocation or Customer payment so a payment could be entered against the invoice right away.

That allows us to either to run thru a batch of SO's and deliver/invoice them or immediately allocate a payment if only one order.  Just makes life easier.

Thanks,

ed10

15 (edited by apmuthu 11/24/2012 04:01:35 am)

Thanks Janusz, the  $auto_create_branch switch was missing. Looks like backward compatibility did me in! Updated config.php page on the Wiki to reflect all variables as on date in the English version. Offline PDF version available.

Also corrected some small typos and included extra variable / necessary comments in the config.default.php file and am attaching the diff patch from Mer 3119.

Post's attachments

proposed_config_default_php_patch_from M3119.zip 5.8 kb, 5 downloads since 2012-11-24 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

@ed10:
Ok, I have added the two sort options in customer allocation inquiry, will be available from FA 2.3.14. Regarding additional link in final invoice to delivery screen I have decided to not include it just now, but if need it you can try to add the link yourself about line 65 of sales/customer_invoice.php file:

hyperlink_no_params($path_to_root."/sales/inquiry/customer_allocation_inquiry.php", _("Go to Allocation Inquiry"));

@apmuthu:
Thank you very much. Your fixes has been included for next release.

Janusz

Thanks Janusz,

I did add the link and it is a big help.  How can I make the link go to the full list of open invoices instead of defaulting to the previous company that I just did the payment for? I know I can click to get all customers, but that is just one more step that I thought could be avoided. 

Along that sort of same idea, for some searches, for example sometimes for customers, I hit space, enter a fragment of a company name and the result says All Customers, then with I click the list is in the dropdown, it is possible  that the first company on the list comes up?  For one thing, when one does a search and the text box comes back with the All Customers it is sort of disconcerting, as if nothing was found.

Thanks for the link.

ed10

Slightly changed line should do:

hyperlink_no_params($path_to_root."/sales/inquiry/customer_allocation_inquiry.php?customer_id=", _("Go to Allocation Inquiry"));

Regarding the weird exact selection effect, I can't remember why it was leaved as it is. I'm sure there was some (more or less) important reason for implementing such behaviour, but  simply I can't remember what it was. Anyway, I agree this is annoying., and maybe this is good candidiate for improvement.

Janusz

Janusz:

I think that customer_id=" should be customer_id=''

ed10

20 (edited by apmuthu 11/25/2012 04:05:39 am)

@ed10: Double quotes is okay. Two single quotes will be a blank value. The double quotes are to ensure closing the string.

To keep with the coding convention, it can be:

hyperlink_no_params("$path_to_root/sales/inquiry/customer_allocation_inquiry.php?customer_id=", _("Go to Allocation Inquiry"));

Should the hyperlink have some parameter to dictate the customer_id? If not, then we use the blank one like:

hyperlink_no_params("$path_to_root/sales/inquiry/customer_allocation_inquiry.php?customer_id=''", _("Go to Allocation Inquiry"));

The blank parameter expanded with spaces for forum display of the above will be ......customer_id='  ' "

No, the parametr should just be empty (no quotes nor double quotes).
If unsure, try it yourself.
Janusz

I know what I did. When I did copy/paste I missed copying the ; at the end so I got a blank screen from the parse error.  Then I saw what you were doing so I just made the cust id = '' and that worked.  I just didn't realize that the orignal error was the ; and got fixed the 2nd time I copy/paste/change cust id.

Leaving cust id blank works as well.

Thanks for all the help.  The payments now work much better and lots faster.

ed10

sales/customer_invoice.php was slated to be updated with the fix here in v2.3.14 - it appears not to have been done as yet.

All fixes in this post have been incorporated except ed10's link request where the fix is provided here in Janusz post #18.