Topic: Need to see Dimension on Bank Statement

Hello,

I need to see "Dimension" on Bank Statement.
For now I have to click small button "GL Trans View" just to see the Dimension.

How do I add Dimension Column on Bank Statement?

Thank's

Regards,
Agus Widi

Re: Need to see Dimension on Bank Statement

The last time I checked, the dimension wasn't recorded on bank deposits. It was just being discarded. It was only being recorded on income and expense. That may have changed in 2.4.4.

Sorry, this doesn't answer your question.

p.s. This post probably belongs in "Reporting" rather than bugs. There are discussions there on how to customize reports.

FYI: I just added a test entry into the test company using a dimension, the dimension was NOT saved in the bank transaction. That is consistent with what I found when I was investigating in 2.4.3. I don't think it's a bug because the dimension is clearly not set and the functions for saving bank transactions do not accept a dimension argument.

What is confusing is that the dimension_id exists in the x_bank_trans table, as it is never set.

@joe: is this the desired design outcome?

I guess the dimension fields in the bank enquiries are redundant. In my opinion it gives no meaning to use dimensions in the bank enquiry.

Joe

My opinion is that it is a bug for those who use dimensions.

See pull request https://github.com/FrontAccountingERP/FA/pull/32.

Without dimension on payments, the gl A/R account for a dimension will rise ad infinitum as sales and payments are made.   The A/R account for a dimension is also needed in cash basis accounting by dimension, as I point out in https://frontaccounting.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=6747.

@joe I mostly agree. The only problem is when I want to record revenue by dimension and that revenue is not from an invoice/sale. When I try to evaluate profit/loss based on dimension, the revenue is misrepresented.
However, I understand that the bank entries would be redundant with sales when revenue is recorded against an invoice. I don't think this question has a simple answer. However, I had to stop using dimensions to calculate profit/loss because bank deposits simply discard the dimension selection.

At the very least, the interface shouldn't suggest that a dimension can be recorded with a bank deposit when it is intentionally discarded. I spent some time trying to figure out why my dimension selections weren't being saved. I thought it was a bug until I reviewed the code and saw that no dimension information is ever passed to a bank transaction. As I said earlier, having the fields in the database, and a selection in the UI, are a real source of confusion.

Hello All,

I'm using FA ver 2.4.4.
I think Dimension works properly, as I input many Bank Transaction which is Expenses.
When I reporting "Profit Loss Drildown" and choose specific Dimension, it shows me "Bank Payment" transaction also.
So Dimension is working on Bank Statement.

My actually problem is When I see "Bank Account Inquiry". I saw there is no "Dimension" column.
So it is difficult for me to know which one is the transaction with/without Dimension.
I have to click small button "GL Trans View" just to see the Dimension. It makes me work slower.

I want to add "Dimension" column to the "Bank Account Inquiry" report.
Anyone knows how?
Thank's

Best regards,
Agus Widi.

This is done in the extension,  https://github.com/braathwaate/FA24extensions/blob/master/Extensions/bank_gl_inquiry/bank_gl_inquiry.php.  Look for the call to get_dimension_string().

Just to be clear, the dimension selections are not recorded on the bank transaction (x_bank_trans). Apparently they are recorded on the matching entry. The problem I see is that the balance sheet is inconsistent when selecting by dimension. For some reason, my bank deposits by dimension don't show up in the balance sheet, but journal entries that result in deposits to a bank account do.

I could have this all wrong, but I am sure of one thing, dimension_id and dimension2_id are always zero in the x_bank_trans table.

@joe: What happens if the dimension fields get populated during bank transactions? Will it affect anything else? Any rationale for this current restriction?

I've been digging into this a bit deeper.

When I make a deposit using the "bank deposit" function, the 0_gl_trans for the deposit does not get the dimension_id set.

When I make a journal entry and debit or credit my bank account, the dimension_id does get saved in 0_gl_trans.

Therefore, depending on how I recorded the transaction, some amounts are reflected in my trial balance under current assets, and others (normal bank deposits) are not.

The results are inconsistent. Apparently, it is the dimension_id in the GL that is used for reporting and that is set inconsistently.

I hope this is clear. I'm at the end of my day, so I'm a bit exhausted.

13 (edited by Braath Waate 09/23/2018 12:02:17 pm)

Are you making a deposit using the "bank deposit" function and selecting "customer"?  If so, this is the bug I pointed out earlier, because a deposit from a customer is essentially a customer payment.