Topic: Transaction References : The value is not incremented

This topic has been discussed in various posts  but now I want to discuss a different scope.

Any Transaction form picks the value of next reference from Transaction References table and Upon new record creation it sets the next reference in Transaction References table.

This process is very natural but sometimes, not always but rarely the value doesn't increment in Transaction References. The User see the message "The reference is already in use " . Then the user has to manually increment the value in Transaction References.

I could not find the reason why the increment stucks but it is not always like this.

What could be the fix for this problem?

www.boxygen.pk

Re: Transaction References : The value is not incremented

Not displaying the reference number in such forms and then automatically generating it and populating the appropriate tables with it was discussed but that detracted from the freedom to make any non standard transaction reference by the end user and hence given up.

This happens when two or more transactions of the same type are being created and submitted (by different users or the same user from different browser tabs/windows) either simultaneously or one after the other after all had opened the entry form for creation.

When each instance opens an entry form for record creation, the current accepted dispensation makes the next available reference number as the default value in the form. This will be the same in all such form instances across users / browser instances as long as the last record for the transaction type reference has not changed. When the first one submits the record it is taken without any error. When the second one is submitted, it is  bearing the old "next reference" still and hence is rejected as it had been allotted to the one which was submitted first. Whilst it is possible to allot the real next reference that obtains at the time of submission, it was thought to be best presented to teh end user for choice of reference number instead - it may be implemented in private FA dispensations by allotted the next reference directly though and the code for it has been placed in the forum and possibly in the wiki adn the end user can make a choice.

The best way forward to have made a sys_prefs flag for prompting the enduser for choice of new reference or automatically take on the next available one. Although this affects a plethora of forms, it can be implemented directly in the add method of the relevant class definition.

@joe: If taken into the core with the appropriate default, it will save a few heart stops.

the code for it has been placed in the forum and possibly in the wiki adn the end user can make a choice.

@apmuthu can you refer the wiki or post where this code is available for this solution.

www.boxygen.pk

I have tried one solution. I request you to please analyze it critically

Modified the below function in includes/references.inc

at Line 228

function is_new_reference(&$ref, $type, $trans_no=0) //modified by faisal
    {
        $old_ref = $ref;
        while ($this->_get($type,$trans_no,$ref))
        {
            $ref = $this->_increment($ref);
        }

if ($old_ref!=$ref)
            $this->reflines->save_next($type,$ref);

return !$this->_get($type, $trans_no, $ref);
    }

At Line 428

function is_new_reference(&$ref, $type, $trans_no=0)//Modified by faisal
{
    global $Refs;

$old_ref = $ref;
    while (!$Refs->is_new_reference($ref,$type,$trans_no))
    {
        $ref = $Refs->_increment($ref);
    }

if ($old_ref!=$ref)
        $Refs->reflines->save_next($type,$ref);

return $Refs->is_new_reference($ref, $type, $trans_no);
}

includes/data_checks.inc at Line 666

function check_reference(&$reference, $trans_type, $trans_no=0, $context=null, $line=null)
www.boxygen.pk

could anyone test this?

www.boxygen.pk

If this test is positive we will implement it immediately.

Joe

Hi I create new company and within this company created 4 different branches in sub-directory the problem happened when these 4 companies have different logos, sales invoice formats and header, and footer.  so how can i add up different header and footer in subdirectory of different companies.

Prefix logo with some variable that denotes these branches.

@haris.cowlas -  we done the job .

Subscription service based on FA
HRM CRM POS batch Themes

I am surprised. No one in FA Community facing the problem of reference increment sad

www.boxygen.pk

I think members are not sure how to test it. Let me explain it.

Suppose if the Next Available Reference for Journal Entry is JE222 in Transaction References. Change it to JE220. Now if you will make the Journal Entry you will get the message "Reference already in use".

Now place the above code in core and test now. You will see that the message will not appear and the system will itself increment the values and record the transaction with Reference JE222.

I hope now someone can test it and give feedback to @joe.

www.boxygen.pk