Topic: Inline addition of Tax for item in Quotation/Sales order/Inovoice

Hello team,

It would be great to have an option to add inline TAX type for each item when you are creating Quotation/Sales order/Inovoice.

By default the TAX type for an item will be taken from what was defined in item definition. But it should be also possible to add different TAX type.

Today only one tax type can be associated with an item.

Example : In India since new GST tax has kicked in, for any item item tax type will depend if you are selling the item within the same state or to other tax. In this scenario today there is no possibility in FA to manage the TAX when you are selling outside your state.

Also there should be a TAX Type column in the Quotation/Sales order/Inovoice mentioning the tax type for each kind of item in same row.

Please let me know your opinion or work around to manage this scenario.

Regards,
Nikunj Patel

Re: Inline addition of Tax for item in Quotation/Sales order/Inovoice

Refer the Wiki and see if the Intersection of lowest tax and additive tax slab for customer (destination location) will satisfy it. The Tax Config page too has examples.

Those who have implemented the Indian GST can share their implementations.

GST in India is still evolving and may be totally changed with any change in Government.

Some links to Indian Taxes for Accounting Software are:

https://github.com/anoopmb/FrontAccounting-2.3.26-CORE

https://github.com/Dolibarr/dolibarr/issues/7221

Dear Apmuthu,

Thanks for your reply.

I know GST in India might evolve and change with time, but inline addition of taxes will be helpful for many other countries as well.

I have already checked dolibarr on this issue, dolibarr works fine with version 7.0.1 onwards. It has a great support for the GST implementation.

Today in FA we have to create different variants of the same product to accommodate different GST slabs.

Example : For Product ABC, we have to create ABC-9,ABC-18,ABC-28,ABC-5,ABC-9-9,ABC-14-14 etc etc

Which will create problems in inventory management.

Apart from this the inline tax assignment will also help to show tax on individual item on each row which is required by Indian income tax department and many other countries.

I really hope to have this feature in FA. Today when I try to propose someone in India to use FA, the only blocking point is management of the GST slabs.

I hope FA team will look into this matter seriously.

If FA team requires any kind of support or help on this matter for testing I will be available. I am not coder but I have basic knowledge of the coding.

Waiting for your kind response on the matter.

Thanks and Regards,
Nikunj Patel

4 (edited by poncho1234 05/06/2018 06:56:17 pm)

You can assign tax by customer; so if a customer located in one state can be assigned say a 3% tax, then a different customer located in a different state can be assigned a different tax of 5%

You may have a customer with different branchs in different states, a different tax can be assigned to each branch of the customer

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

The problem here is that the customer / branch must have different tax for different items as well!
In fact to alleviate this issue for the Australian GST (see post), we needed an extra column in the query for PriceExTax that can be used in customised reports.

@apmuthu - I think maybe I have misunderstood, but if i create a item 'Oranges' I can sell oranges in Texas to a customer for 5% and the same product item to another customer or branch in Maryland at 3% using FA - Tax Groups which is assigne in customer/branches.
What have I missed?

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/

Dear Apmuthu/Poncho,

Thanks for your comments.

Poncho you right in your approach as well.

As Apmuthu rightly pointed out "The problem here is that the customer / branch must have different tax for different items as well!"

But today in India for example the problem is, the Income Tax department not only expects the GST total, but also wants to show the tax type applied to individual items.

With inline tax assignment approach lots of work or work around can be minimized.

Dolibarr is great example of how they are managing this in their ERP. (Not comparing FA with dolibarr but just a suggestion as I have been working on dolibarr as well.).

As I have mentioned before with this inline tax assignment feature FA will be able to reach large audience.

Hope you get my point. Let me know if you need more clarification.

Keep up the great work you are doing....

Thanks and regards,
Nikunj Patel

@nikhunjpatel1222: Do we have different GST slabs for the same item in a single jurisdiction where a TaxGroup for different location based rate will not suffice?

Is @poncho1234's solution sufficient for the Indian GST?

9 (edited by poncho1234 05/09/2018 04:13:18 am)

If not please give detail, there may be another work around???

@apmuthu - also is this module relevant here?

apmuthu wrote:

@nikhunjpatel1222: Do we have different GST slabs for the same item in a single jurisdiction where a TaxGroup for different location based rate will not suffice?

Is @poncho1234's solution sufficient for the Indian GST?

Dear Apmuthu / Poncho,

The sample invoice you can see on following link :

http://jpglobal.in/FA1805-0001.pdf

The invoice is for the same customer but it will be dispatched to two different location. In the example invoice shown in the link. The request was received from the headquarters and so the invoice had to be sent to headquarters of the client, but the delivery had to be made in two different locations 1) In different state 2) within the same state.

And as you know Apmuthu this is normal practice in India to receive the PO from one location and requesting dispatch in different location.

In this scenario in FA we have to create two invoices with the work around method mentioned by Poncho. Which is sometimes not acceptable by the customer, as they want to see one invoice mentioning and pointed towards the headquarters or central offices.

Apart from this now as per government regulations it is compulsory to mention the TAX type on each individual item in the invoice, so that it is clear what kind of GST is applicable to each item.

Hope this will clear the idea of what I am trying to explain + what will be required in FA to meet this requirement.

Let me know if you need more clarification on the matter.

Regards,
Nikunj Patel

Post's attachments

FA1805-0001.pdf 17.3 kb, 3 downloads since 2018-05-09 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

11 (edited by poncho1234 05/09/2018 10:21:33 am)

Two items?
Coolant Valve - 1 Inch (9%)
Coolant Valve - 1 Inch (18%)

Inventory issue - 1 stock only' Coolant Valve - 1 Inch (9%)', before sale of 'Coolant Valve - 1 Inch (18%)' negative adjustment 'Coolant Valve - 1 Inch (9%)', then positive adjustment to 'Coolant Valve - 1 Inch (18%)'
or allow negative inventory if inventory management is not required?

If this is for occasional use then its workable

Someone else may have a better idea?

Does Paul Shipley's Australian Tax Invoice extension resolve the tax type /amount per item? Or does it require further modification? (I've not installed it so not sure what is included?)

Dear Poncho,

This is not workable for most of traders and small business who manages their inventory. This is suitable only for freelancers or non inventory managed companies (Which required to adjust inventory items every time they want to generate the invoice / quotation / sales order)

I have tried using the the extension made by Paul Shipley but it does makes changes it seems. Atleast on my installation. The invoices are still printed in default format.(I will try to dig further to see if I am missing something !!!)

Is it a big modification in the code to implement this ? As I have mentioned before it will be great for better good of FA deployment in the community if we can implement this feature.

Waiting for your kind response on the matter.

Thanks and Regards,
Nikunj Patel

Hi Nikunj, Poncho and others,

My extension is primarily to format the layout of the invoice to meet Australian Taxation Office (ATO) requirements, so I don't believe it will do what you are looking for. It might be possible to use a similar approach to develop an Indian GST Invoice but I am not an accountant or familiar with Indian tax law.

Hope this helps.

Paul

14 (edited by poncho1234 05/10/2018 04:12:31 pm)

Yes it's quite a large modification and beyond my capabilities, changes to core sales and purchasing modules to assign a tax by item. Also the 2 taxes per item (9/9%) will add complexity. I’m not sure if this is possible as an extension. Reports also would have to be modified. Changes to the GL may have to be made too.
Maybe apmuthu has a suggestion? Or you could ask for a quote in the Jobs Wanted sub forum or the 'Wish' list

15 (edited by anoopmb 05/20/2018 05:02:49 pm)

Hi,

I am currently integrating GST into FA core for Indian users. You may have to wait a little bit  and as for your solution what I am doing is

State of the Customer/Branch,Supplier and Company will be compulsory if GST Enabled and assigning HSN/SAC Code to each Item

Please refer this http://blogs.tallysolutions.com/place-of-supply-bill-to-ship-to-transactions/

It Also includes GSTR Reports also

ANOOP
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes!