Topic: Enhance DB activities to allow more extensions

Greetings all,

I am working on an extension to send customer data from Front Accounting to our newly implemented SuiteCRM instance (and eventually our WooCommerce shop).  I see in the Sales area, there are hook_prewrite and _postwrite calls passing the shopping cart, which would let me send sales data.

I would like to suggest we enhance the other areas of FA similarly.  To this end, I've started in the customer area.  I have defined some new types CT_ADDCUST etc.  I have also added the pre and post hook calls in the 6 routines that add/update/delete customers and branches. 

define('CT_ADDCUST', 50 );
define('CT_UPDATECUST', 51 );
define('CT_DELETECUST', 52 );
define('CT_ADDBRANCH', 55 );
define('CT_UPDATEBRANCH', 56 );
define('CT_DELETEBRANCH', 57 );

To allow this to be upgrade safe and the extension module not needing to know the triggering core module, the types defined in includes/types.inc would need to be renumbered so that each transaction type is unique (they currently restart at 1). (e.g. BT_TRANSFER 1)

Ideally, all of the core modules would pass an object, similar to the CART in the sales area, but an interim step that I have working would be to use func_get_args() to pass an array:

$arr = func_get_args();
hook_db_prewrite( $arr, CT_ADDBRANCH );
db_query(...);
//if there is a returned index value (i.e. on insert) we could add that into the $arr...
hook_db_postwrite( $arr, CT_ADDBRANCH );

I am currently developing against 2.3.22 but also did a quick check in 2.4.1 to see if there had been any changes along this lines in the customer/branch codes.

As I have only started working this, I am very open to ideas on how to architect this, and if anyone can identify reasons for FA to NOT have these enhancements.

Have a great day!

Re: Enhance DB activities to allow more extensions

Connecting to other applications is best done using the REST API (See SlimAPI in the wiki).

Does the SlimAPI work on a push out of FA basis? 

When I add or update a customer in FA, I want that details pushed to Suite.  And in Suite, I have a module that will push to the other integration points when it updates records.

Thanks

You will need to pull in the data from FA into your application from within your application or program a trigger in the FA DB to populate your application DB.

To pull in FA data from within your application, use the FA SlimAPI to create a script that can be run on demand or in a cron job.