Topic: EAN13 BarCode patch for FA 2.4.x

Attached is the patch (for the FA 2.4 master) for Barcode auto generation on demand, reporting and extension of the barcode library to accommodate a much larger set of barcode formats.

@joe: you can commit it now.

Post's attachments

fa24_barcodes.zip 33.9 kb, 21 downloads since 2017-11-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: EAN13 BarCode patch for FA 2.4.x

I will have a look tomorrow.

Joe

@apmuthu how to print barcodes. I have updated the patch but can't find any option in rep303 for barcodes print.

www.boxygen.pk

@boxygen
Try to select 'Show Pictures'. The Barcode print seems to be inside the 'Show Pictures'. I am looking at the code implementation in the core.

Glad to hear if it works as is.

/Joe

I have now been working on this. I did an extra parameter in the Stock Check List for selecting Barcodes.

Why are you creating random barcodes in the Items.php? Is that a common way to do it? Will it confuse people not using barcodes?
Should it be an option using barcodes on the company? And maybe which barcode type?
Just a couple of questions from a guy not used to barcodes smile

/Joe

1. random barcodes - security - so that it is not easily guessable as serial ones are. It appears to be a common way to do it in some local applications I have seen where an internal serial id is there to keep track by the application and the random one in another field is used for human / external automated interface. This technique is used in some hall ticket in examination systems to thwart "paper chasing" where auto dummy number allocation is resorted to.

2. A company specific config option to suppress the auto random barcode generation will help avoid confusion among those not using barcodes.

3. Which barcode type and how many digits in the barcode (if not specific to the chosen barcode) and the appropriate format for it, possibly without check digits (which should be auto generated) or when given, to be used for verification would make for a slightly more complex interaction best left to custom modules..... Making the function generic in the ammer you sufggested would be welcome even if not implemented fully for now. The barcode.php has anyway been fully "upgraded" manually from the original TCPDF sources of later versions to support a much wider range than was available earlier.

4. Yes, a note on the Show pictures options would be nice and it may double up for the config option or is it to be differentiated in some way by being a new one?

This has now been committed to stable repo and implemented this way:

• A checkbox in Company Setup 'Use Barcodes on Stock' has been implemented.

• If 'Use Barcodes on Stock' is marked:
    A button next to the Item ID in Items.php is established that is called 'Generate EAN-8 Barcode'. Appearently this is a popular way of doing this. See @apmuthu comments above.
    The Items Report 'Stock Check Sheets' now shows the Barcodes.

• The Barcodes are shown without Borders. Looks prettier. But if you want a border it can be set to true on line 147 in rep303.php.

• Some minor errors in the delivered zip file were fixed.

The language file 'empty.po' will have to wait until next minor.

/Joe

@joe: rerun with line 121 of sql/alter2.4.php:

'barcodes_on_report')");

being changed to:

'barcodes_on_stock')");

to match variable used in code.

Also update the standard Charts too with it in the sys_prefs table possibly disabling it by default with to match current installs.

Sure. Will do.

/Joe

Thanks @joe. It appears that this feature is enabled by default. Looks okay.

Yes, if it is enabled in Company Setup.

joe