Topic: Front Accounting (New Perspectives from a CPA/CISSP Tech Guy)

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and new to FrontAccounting.  I got interested in this product because it looked like a serious double-entry accounting package, and based on my familiarity with the LAMP stack, thought it would be worth checking out.  And I was right!

I won't go into all the pros and cons of the product because frankly I'm still finding my way around.  I set up a SME Server, and used WGET to download the package, and ran through an install.  It was painful guys.  I'm not talking sudo apt-get install on a client.  I'm talking about an install on the server at /home/e-smith/files/ibays/primary/etc etc etc. 

I'm a pretty technical guy, but I'm pretty sure the install with SME would be pretty intimidating for most folks.  Somewhere between the "can't write to this directory" (chmod to the resue)  error message, and the incredibly awkward fiscal year/company set up, they probably would have gone screaming back to QuickBooks.  And you know what?  That would be a shame.  Because based on what I'm seeing, and poking around in the native SQL tables, I would say this is one serious ERP/Accounting application that would serve it's intended audience with distinction!

We have here an application here that can run in the cloud, or on one's private network.  Flexibility? Power? Accounting Compliance?  Yes, Yes, and Yes.  But I have to say that getting this up and running, and pushing through to an actual company install, was not easy.  I was never in doubt that I could do it.  But what about all those business folk and bookkeepers out there?  What about potential CPA firms that might be looking for a QuickBooks Slayer (because I can tell you there is a lot of Intuit Hate out there).  Would they do it?  I know, many reading this are probably saying "who cares".  But maybe this community should care.  Maybe you do already.  I don't know yet. 

I will keep plodding on, and eventually try to get down into the code base to make a contribution or two, but have an idea that I wanted to pass on right out of the gate.  Why not come up with a few new tabs that basically offer Client Write-Up capabilities?  In CPA parlance, write-up is when the clients uses the Cash Disbursements, Cash Receipts, and maybe some simple General Journal entries.  That's all.  And this is perfect for giving them those capabilities.  That 'write-up' work then gets passed to the CPA/Bookkeeper who carries it through to the Trial Balance and then to the Financial Statements.  Anyway, it occurred to me that FA would be GREAT for this.  Basically it would offer these capabilities and hide the other Tabs - - call it FA Light or some such thing.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and thank the developers for doing such a great job on this product.  I don't know what I was expecting, but when I saw it is an OOP product, I was pretty impressed.  Thanks!!

Kenny

Re: Front Accounting (New Perspectives from a CPA/CISSP Tech Guy)

There are OpenVZ templates available for FrontAccounting. Single click installs can be done in many web panels like cPanel which have Fantastico, SimpleScripts and/or  other rapid installers. In SME Server, one can look at templates like Joomla installers (for ibays) and create and submit one for FA to the project.

After a successful install into an ibay and setting the necessary permissions and ownerships, one can make a tar.gz file of the ibay with permissions and ownerships intact for usage elsewhere. Even a simple shell script can be cobbled out for generic installation.

Referring the exhaustive FA Wiki would be useful and please contribute your mite to it so that other newbies would benefit too.

Welcome to the FA fold!

Re: Front Accounting (New Perspectives from a CPA/CISSP Tech Guy)

Thanks!

Yes, I installed it on a web server with one click, and yes, it was very simple.  I should have mentioned that.  But I wanted to install it locally on a server, because this is how an SME would probably do it if they wanted control over it.