Topic: how to enter payments from customer with same check number?

When entering a payment from customer (from Sales >> Customer Payments), we do not see a box for check number (nor for payment type, ie check).  We thought about using the Reference box but issue arises when we tried to enter the same value for the Reference box.  System would not allow us because “the entered reference is already in use”.

Are we going to the wrong page to do customer payment?  I checked setup and do not see an option to add a check number box (nor payment type box) to the form.  We need to be able to enter multiple payments with the same check number.  Is this possible?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: how to enter payments from customer with same check number?

Use the Memo box with wordings being "Part of Ch No...."

Thanks for the reply.  Accounting wants to be able to see the check number on some of the reports and be able to find the payment using the check number (ie to allocate the payment); so I don't think Memo box will work.

Then treat the payment as on Account and pay by allocation with check number which would be searchable. For reporting by cheque number, you will have to parse it out into a custom report.

Thanks for the reply but having trouble following you.

How do we "treat the payment as on Account"?  Do it at Banking >> Deposits?

How do we "pay by allocation"?  Do it at Sales >> Allocate Customer Payments or Credit Notes?

I actually tried doing this before trying Customer Payments but did not see where to enter check number.

In plain vanilla FA, there is no cheque number field. It must exist only in the Memo / Description field. You can make a module extension for yourself for the new field in the forms / reports with new tables in a 1:1 relationship with existing ones or extend the table schema for a new field. Such changed will break your upgradeability unless you also upgrade your module extension.

Attempting to live within the Memo / Description field can be done using the Inventory Bin hack listed in the wiki.