Topic: Standard cost for manufactured item

Hello,

I noticed some strangeness in standard material cost for manufactured item. When I create this item, I entered the same value as the total of the required component in BOM. For example, I create manufactured item A which consist of 2 B and 3 C. B has 100 for its standard cost and C has 200 for its standard cost. So, I entered 2*100+3*200 = 800 for item A's standard material cost. When I created a work order and finished it, the jurnal and the item status looks fine and noting strange. But, when I look at the standard material cost for item A, it has changed. I don't know why this happen. Can anyone help me?

Thank you

Re: Standard cost for manufactured item

When dealing with assembling/production you will not see any standard material cost before the first assembling/production. This standard material cost is saved with many decimals, to avoid rounding errors.

I cannot reproduce any errors here. Please be specific with more data during the process. Maybe there are some misunderstanding here?

/Joe

joe wrote:

When dealing with assembling/production you will not see any standard material cost before the first assembling/production. This standard material cost is saved with many decimals, to avoid rounding errors.

I cannot produce any errors here. Please be specific with more data during the process. Maybe there are some misunderstanding here?

/Joe

I have already finished the production and the status of the work order is closed.

I have some guess about this problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.

According to my example, the price for manufactured item in inventory account in general ledger is based from total sum of all cost (material, labour, and overhead).

I have my data like belom for item A (manufactured item)
material cost : 800
labor cost : 500
overhead cost : 200

When I open my balance and do an adjustment, the unit price is 1500 (total of all cost above). So, if I entered 10 items of A, the inventory account will have 15000.

I already confirmed this. Then, I test it with crate a work order that produce 1 A.  I test it wth advance manufactured and I don't enter the cost (I click release and then produce). The GL entry is like what I expected. My inventory account for manufactured item has increased exactly like the total value of material used. But the standard cost is changed so that it have many decimals. Why the value change? I don't know where is this value come from. Is it because I didn't enter any other cost, like overhead and labour cost? Is this value come from total value of manufactured item divided by total quantity?

According to your last post, you are right. The standard cost is the average material and overhead cost over time.

So I guess this is just a learning process, right?

Joe

joe wrote:

According to your last post, you are right. The standard cost is the average material and overhead cost over time.

So I guess this is just a learning process, right?

Joe

It's true for the first work order. But when I create another work order with different labour and overhead cost, I can not get from where the material cost, labour cost, and overhead cost. Another thing is my accountant told me that the price for manufactured item in inventory account is counted only from material. So, I wonder, which is right because in Frontaccounting, the price is calculated from total cost, including labour and overhead. Can you give me some accounting reference for this calculation? And maybe every calculation in Frontaccounting must have some guidelines so that we can crosscheck the calculation.

The overhead cost is booked in GL according to the accounts given in the work order creation. The debit accounts are set on the item.

The standard cost include material cost, labor and overhead cost. These costs are included in the manufactured value.

These standard costs are first credited from inventory/stocks of work in progress, and debited on COGS when delivering the item.

Joe

victoredwards wrote:

The standard cost for manufactured item depends on these cost elements are :
Material Cost – This is the purchased cost. This is set as the standard material unit cost on the cost master file.
Material Overhead Cost – This is the material burden which is calculated using a “Material Overhead Rate’ and applied to the material cost at the time of purchase order receipt.
Direct labor and labor overheaded cost.
Machine Overhead Cost – There is a Machine Overhead Rate associated with each machine and the machine can be specified on each operation of the routing where appropriate.

Thank you for your reply. When I use item adjustment, this works fine. If I set the material cost 70.000 and labour cost 75.000,
the adjustment seems right. My stock account value in balance sheet become 75.000.

The problem occur when I use work order to produce it. I use raw material which total 70.000 and add a labour cost 5.000. But, something happen because my initial qoh is 0. It's in work_orders_db.inc (function add_overhead_cost) that cause this.

if ($qoh > 0){
            $overhead_cost = ($qoh * $overhead_cost + $costs) / $qoh;
        }else { // Journal Entry if QOH is 0/negative 
            global $Refs;

$id = get_next_trans_no(ST_JOURNAL);
            $ref = $Refs->get_next(ST_JOURNAL);

$stock_gl_code = get_stock_gl_code($stock_id);
            $memo = "WO Overhead cost settlement JV for zero/negative respository of " . $stock_id;
            //Reverse the inventory effect if $qoh <=0
            add_gl_trans_std_cost(ST_JOURNAL, $id, $date_, $stock_gl_code["inventory_account"], $stock_gl_code['dimension_id'], $stock_gl_code['dimension2_id'], $memo, -$costs);
            //GL Posting to inventory adjustment account
            add_gl_trans_std_cost(ST_JOURNAL, $id, $date_, $stock_gl_code["adjustment_account"], $stock_gl_code['dimension_id'], $stock_gl_code['dimension2_id'], $memo, $costs);

add_audit_trail(ST_JOURNAL, $id, $date_);
            add_comments(ST_JOURNAL, $id, $date_, $memo);
            $Refs->save(ST_JOURNAL, $id, $ref);
        }

I don't get the else part. Because that, the value of finished goods become 70.000 and the material cost change into 65.000. The labor cost still 5.000.

The else part is for use when you have accepted negative stock in system and general GL setup and the current stock is below 0.

Joe

But what is the reason for that? I have 0 product and enough material to produce that. I think in the balance sheet, it's enough to convert the total raw material asset to finished goods asset and add some expense in profit/loss report. Why must it reduce the finished goods asset?

joe wrote:

The else part is for use when you have accepted negative stock in system and general GL setup and the current stock is below 0.

Joe

As I told you before I am no expert on this. Maybe someone in the audience can convince me to change the algorithms.