Topic: Customer Statement Report

I've just done a new customer statement report. It basically ignore the allocations and display the statement similar to a bank one with a running balance.
It also display in red, PLEASE PAY NOW with the required amount.

Until it's package you can download it on github : https://github.com/elax/fa-rep-customer_account_statement

Here is the readme

Overview

FrontAccounting report displaying a customer statement in a 'bank statement' way, i.e. doesn't take allocation into account but display a running balance instead. It should be more straigh forward and easier for the customer to understand. The report is also split in two parts, overdue and coming soon.

The reports looks like:

Date    Transaction     #     Issued        Charges     Credit |  Balance       
2013/08/10  Invoice 10  2013/07/11  50.00                  |     -50.00
2013/08/23  Invoice 20  2013/07/24 100.00                  |    -150.00
2013/08/11  Payment 20                                       100.00  |     -50.00

Due Soon
2013/09/05  Invoice 20  2013/08/05  200.00                |   -200.00
                                                                      Total Balance |   -250.00

*Overdue            |     50.00*

Parameters

The report gives the statement for the current date. However, the starting point is not the start date parameter but the more recent date when the balance was null between the start and end date parameters. The idea is too only show the meaningful transactions which are basicall what's coming up ,what's been unpaid and everyting since the last unpaid or disagreement.

If you want the report from a certain date set the start and end date to this date. Then default value, beginning of fiscal year to now should be ok in most case, bringing forward last year balance and showing only the transaction folloiwing the first unpaid.
No allocation ?

This report doesn't take allocation into account. If you need an 'allocation' report use the standard FrontAcconting statement report. The problem with allocations is that if don't you allocate in the exact same way as your customer did and you disagree on some payments, it's hard to explain the difference to your customer. If I disagree on the balance with a customer, what I need to show him is the balance, whith all the transaction, period. With the standard report, if hide allocated transactions, then transactions are showing or not (depending how I allocated them) and then the customer starts arguing that he paid one which is showing, and when I reallocate payments according to his view, why some new transaction are appearing (the one I deallocated). If I send the full report, it starts from the beginning of time (there is no start date parameter) and as it doesn't display a running balance it's hard to spot when stuff went wrong.

Let's look at the example above, obvsiously payment 20 stands for invoice 20 (amount 100.0) and the customer has missed Invooice 10. However, if for some reason I allocated Payment 20 to Invoice 10 (50.00) and Invoice 20 (50.00). The normal statement will show

Invoice 20 100.00 allocated 50.00 oustanding 50.00

When I send the statment to the customer, the answer will be : I've paid Invoice 20, where is payment 20 ? If I send the full statement, I get pretty much the same answer. I've paid Invoice 20 why is there 50.00 oustanding ? (for those which look at the oustanding column).

So I reallocate Payment 20 to Invoice 10 and resend the statment

Invoice 10 50.00 allocated 50.00 oustanding 50.00

The customer answer is, "Where does Invoice 10 come from ? It wasn't on the previous statement and I thought we agreed that Invoice 20 was fully paid with Payment 20, therefore we are sorted and I don't owe you anything. " With the "running balance" report such conversation should arrive anymore.

Re: Customer Statement Report

Joe, wouldn't you want to include it in the core?

3 (edited by s12321 05/18/2014 11:32:09 pm)

Re: Customer Statement Report

very nice and thanks Elax. Do you know how to customize the balance sheet with the dashboard objects.
I've found the default balance sheet is a bit... um... it is functional but not attractive ~ tongue