1 (edited by alfredok 09/12/2007 02:07:42 pm)

Topic: What are dimensions?

Hi,

I'm from a Spanish spoken country, and I don't have a very advanced accounting tecnical english (nither regular english, but I make my best).

It's not that I can't translate the meaning of the word, I don't know what does the Dimension module do.

Can anyone tell me how to use this module?

Thank you!

Alfred

Re: What are dimensions?

Hello,

There was an explanation in the Setup Forum but it should have been here, so I will repeat it.

Simply speaking it is just a way of keeping track of various departments, cost centres, projects inside the company.
You can have 2 levels, e.g. level 1, department, level-2, cost-centre.
When you create the dimension you decide if it should be of level 1 or level 2.
You can by this keep track of cost centres inside a department inside a company.

Default the system havs 1 level of dimensions. That is, you can keep a simple track of departments or cost centres or whatever, but just in one level. That is, you can keep track of departments only or cost centres only inside a company.

If you don't need dimensions you can set it to 0 in the company setup.
Here you can choose between level 0, 1 or 2.

I hope this gives meaning to you.

Joe

Can I use cost centers as sales locations, to track the sales and expense of a locations separately?

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."  - Aristotle.

Yes you can, and this is the purpose of dimensions. You can even track this in a two dimensional way, like cost centres inside departments, should that be needed. Default FrontAccounting can be used with one level of dimensions, but in the setup tab, company setup this can be set to 0, 1 or 2 levels.

/Joe

Dear Joe can u please explain dimension more clearly and its purpose and how it can b used. I m really not getting you. Why dimension is needed as v can track everything simply.

Thank you

Please, sajjad, it has been explained both here and in the setup forum. Please read it ones more. If you still don't get a habit of it, maybe you just don't need them now and you can wait until you need them. You can switch them of in company setup.

/Joe

7 (edited by freddygl 02/11/2010 06:13:00 am)

We are using dimension for job costing. Job numbers are entered as dimensions. All is working fine except for some inconvenience when entering transactions. The dimensions drop down list is preceded with the dimension id. Our job numbers are preceded with different alphabets corresponding to different branches. Therefore as the drop down list can be quite long we find it not type friendly when selecting the right job number eg the list can be '1 J100', '2 J102', '3 BJ99', .... '40 J153', '41 MJ125', etc etc. So if we need to enter MJ125, we need to scroll down until we see it and select rather than just type 'MJ125' and press enter.

Is there anywhere I could change some configuration so that the dimensions drop down list will not be preceded by the dimension id and sorted accordingly.

Thank you

A pity you didn't know this. It is not the dimension id that is shown in front of the dimension, but the reference number. If you don't change that during creation, it will use a numeric serie, identical with the internal id.
So when you created the dimension, you could have put MJ125 in the first reference field. You can freely overwrite this reference nr, but it has to be unique inside the dimensions.
You could, without any side-effect, use phpMyAdmin to change your dimension references in the reference field. Then you could probably give them a more relevant name too.
After this you will have the list sorted by reference numbers and name.

/Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Followed your instructions and is now working as expected.

Best regards,
Freddy

Hi sir,
I am ashok here from Chennai(india).How to go customer enquiry?.pls tell it.

Hi Sir,
    Dimension also i cant understand.Dimension means what?pls reply me

12 (edited by rthor 05/20/2010 08:09:10 pm)

Is it fair to say that if you don't know what it is, you probably don't need it?

Dimensions, generally speaking, are areas of your business you'd like to track in order to separate their cost or profit contributions to the company.

Cost Centers, for example, may be departments like R&D (Research and Development), Marketing or Customer Service. These are areas of your business which do not contribute directly to profit but have a cost to the business. This is in contrast to Investment and Profit Centers, which could also be set up as dimensions, but contribute to a company's profits.

You may, for example, want to have Sales and Service separated. If they share many of the same items and GL accounts, set them up as separate dimensions and you can better reconcile their financial contributions.

A division of the company, or any indirect revenue stream, could be set up as a dimension, too.

Hi rthor ,

Thank you so much for ur xplanation, Since one of our customer is very much keen on this particular module .we would also like to have an example  with flow or explain us how to do this inside the product. we would be glad to recieve a reponse form your side.

Thanks.

CCIPL- Techincal team.

rthor wrote:

Is it fair to say that if you don't know what it is, you probably don't need it?

Dimensions, generally speaking, are areas of your business you'd like to track in order to separate their cost or profit contributions to the company.

Cost Centers, for example, may be departments like R&D (Research and Development), Marketing or Customer Service. These are areas of your business which do not contribute directly to profit but have a cost to the business. This is in contrast to Investment and Profit Centers, which could also be set up as dimensions, but contribute to a company's profits.

You may, for example, want to have Sales and Service separated. If they share many of the same items and GL accounts, set them up as separate dimensions and you can better reconcile their financial contributions.

A division of the company, or any indirect revenue stream, could be set up as a dimension, too.

Hi Ashok, 

Please could you provide a little more detail of what you're trying to do.

Thanks,
W

Hi Joe, how do we change the name dimensions? We need to change it to other caption instead of Dimensions. thanks

The easiest way is to change the language file, xx_YY.po (if you use none en_GB). Simply search all occurrence of Dimension(s) and change it into what you like instead. You can use poEdit for this. Which word would you have preferred?

/Joe

We have two companies can we use two dimensions as two company, if possible can FA generate reports properly. thanks

If the two companies are legal entities, we do not recommend using dimensions for this, although it is technically possible.

Please create new companies in the setup tab.

You can use excel or OpenOffice for work with subsidiaries.

/Joe

19 (edited by portnoyboy 07/17/2012 05:03:27 pm)

Hi Joe,
What do you mean by using excel/OpenOffice for work with subsidiaries? Is there some interoperability between FA and OpenOffice?
I'm new to FA and still trying to figure out the best workflow in FA for my needs. Thanks in advance.

No, you will have to build that yourself.

Joe

An explanation of what tags are and how they fit in here would be nice.

Dimension tags are for future use. It is a kind of extra selection.

Joe

Hi,

So am I safe to say that DIMENSION is meant to separate job costing & profit?

I thought dimension is about inventory. In my previous program dimension works like this.
This can be more easily understood when the example used are clothes.

Dimension 1: Size (XS-S-M-L-XL)
Dimension 2: Gender (Male-Female)

So the inventory list for items that has dimension will look like this:

XS   S   M   L   XL
M       4    8   1   4    5
F       2    8   7   4    1

Instead of:
M-XS: 4 pcs
M-S: 8 pcs
M-M: 1 pcs

These are attributes of a product / item - osCommerce, Prestashop and other shopping carts have them.

Hi could anyone tell me how to EDIT dimension REFERENCE NUMBER and set my own Reference Number manually but when i tried to change its simply not SAVING.