Topic: Tax Report

For UK VAT return, you need total amount of all purchases and sales within the tax period. I've realised that FA is not posting any invoices with zero/nil tax supplier invoices to "trans_tax_details" table. The tax report is fetching tax report data from this table only. For example, I have a supplier who is not VAT registered who is supplying non-vatable items. When posting supplier   invoice, I have shipping cost to add. Now say total item cost is £1000 (not vatable) and I add GL account shipping cost of £10 to it. My total sub-total is £1010, Tax £0 and invoice total is £1010. When the invoice is posted, only £1000 is posted to  "trans_tax_details" table. My total purchase on this invoice is £1010 not £1000. I want to customise this process by picking the supplier tax code and posting the GL account value to that tax code group. At present, the system is set to work out invoice value based on the tax amount entered in the invoice. Can anyone help me locate the function which does this working and the one that generates insert statement on this table.

Deven

Re: Tax Report

I see the problem.

You could create a Shipping Service Item in Items and Inventory. You could set the initial price to 0, and first enter the real price when you enter the Supplier Invoice.

This way you ensure that you get the correct Tax Report.

/Joe

I have tried that. It works as you are basically assigning a tax code to GL account. So it is not adviceable to use "Supplier Invoice" for non-VATable expenses as your tax report will be wrong. The problem is when I have issued a purchase order to a supplier and then you find on the actual invoice a shipping charge. At this point on "Supplier Invoice" you add all order lines and the only options are quick entry or choose shipping from GL Account. I have tired both and none of them works if the expense is not VATable. All you have to do is cancel the whole purchase order, create new PO with shipping charge on and then post the invoice. If you were to go for creating service items then you have create one for each expense account.

I would suggest to bring tax code assignment to each GL account in next upgrade. In the meantime, easier way out is to make slight change in the "posting" code on supplier invoice which should insert all the data from the form and not do any other background calculations. I tested one supplier invoice by entering expense for £1000 and then manually entered 20% VAT line as amount £190 (instead of £200). What system posted in table "trans_tax_details" was tax of £190, which is correct but the invoice value was £950 (instead of £1000). What system should post in database is what is inserted on the form. By doing background calculate without user knowing is very misleading.

Deven

Wikiied it!

My advise from former topic still is adequate, however, you should enter the correct shipping value from the beginning.

Remember this is only needed if the Tax Type rate is 0-%. Otherwise you can use the normal GL Items entry.

Try to enter these lines:

XXX Stock item                           1                             1000               1000
YYY Shipping                             1                              10                  10
Total                                                                                     1010

If you look at the tax report you will see the correct statistics.

/Joe

Hi i want to know that  FA supports line item wise tax calculation on sales invoices. kindly guide me.

item code item description quantity price before tax discount % discount amount vat 5% total

The default FA install will have Price After Tax - hence add whatever tax you want in each line item of a Direct Sales Invoice Entry Form. The tax reporting is based on tax per item. That is why we have item tax. The default Sales Invoice PDF does not have the individual taxes but the total tax included as a summary line.

Also you can have a different tax for each item, but will still show how as apmuthu states above

The FrontAccounting Wiki(Manual, examples, tips, setup info, links to accounting sites, etc) https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/