Topic: How to pay utility bills

Hi All
I have a real stupid question to ask.

What would be the best way to pay a utility bill / rent. Would  the supplier be setup and would this be a purchase item all be it not an inventory item.

Your help would be most appreciated.

cheers

Dave

Re: How to pay utility bills

Yes set them up as suppliers.  Use the GL Items for this. You can preset the cost account in the supplier setup.

You can also create a quick entry for this. Then it is really easy to book your bills.

/Joe

Hi all

Taking this one step further i would like be able to raise an order on a supplier for a service. i.e repair my air conditioning system or other services and be able to raise an invoice etc.. I  set up an item and set it as a service but when i create an order it then adds it as an item in my inventory which is not what i what.

Can you please offer some advice

Cheers
Dave

You must create these service items as yes 'Service Items' when creating the items.

/Joe

Thanks Joe, dont i feel a fool.

Is there any way i can modify the database to rectify this, I have made an item a purchase item but need to change it to a service.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Yes, you can do that in phpMyAdmin, however there might be transactions gone to the GL with the old purchase item.
If so, you will have to rectify these too.

/Joe

Wikiied it.

Thanks for your update, i think creating a service item is the best solution (for me anyway)

I add the suppliers and the system tells me that the new supplier has been added. However, when I get back to add another supplier, the supplier info of the one I just added does not appear. Is the supplier I added in my system?

Yes it is. Check that you do not have the search supplier list in company setup set.

Joe

For starters, when paying bills online you'll save money -- both on postage and late fees -- as well as time. Online bill payment is also safer than the snail-mail method: Your personal information is much more vulnerable to theft if it's on paper and physically moving through the postal system. You can also use your credit card to pay all your bills, which can make it easier to keep track of financial matters -- and you can earn airline travel miles and other cash-based rewards while you're at it.

Hi,

I apologize if I am just being a little bit dense, but I am a touch confused between the terminology in the wiki and forums and the actual FA interface, and I want to make sure I understand before I start dabbling.  Specifically from the wiki entry:

>>Best way to pay utility bill / rent:
>>Setup Supplier, use GL Items for it

I see "GL Items" referred to several times.  When I navigate to Purchases=>suppliers, I can find nothing called "* Items", nor can I find a field labeled GL Items anywhere else in FA.  However, I see Accounts Payable Account:, Purchase Account: and Purchase Discount Account: listed under Accounts.  Is this what is being referred too?  For example, to pay my phone bill, I should enter my telco as a supplier, leave the AP account as is, and change the purchase account to 5780 or whatever my telephone account in the GL is?

>>Preset the Cost Account in Supplier setup

Again, I do not find any term "cost account" when I look through the details for a supplier I have created.  Does this refer to the Purchase Account under the accounts section?

>>Can also raise an order on supplier for service (Create Service Item and set it as a Service)

From what I have been reading, I believe I am obligated to create a Service Item (called "one month of telephone service" or similar) in order to create the vendor invoice.  Do I understand this correctly, or can the phone bill be entered without actually creating a service item?

Use Supplier Invoice in the right pane, Purchasing tab. Here you can use the GL item Lines in the lower part of the form.

Joe

awesome sauce, found it.  Thank you very much...