Topic: Overdraft Limit Error

I've posted this and haven't had a response as yet - When posting a payment we get this error quite frequently
The bank transaction would result in exceed of authorized overdraft limit for transaction: # on .
Now this is Joe's response: These errors occur when a cash account is used and turn negative per
the date you enter the transaction.
All very well and good but if not for the fact that : there is more than enough cash in the Account - Over $1000 to do a $57 transaction ??

Please please can we get some sort of response - We are literally stuck and unable to complete our set of accounts.
Thank you.

Re: Overdraft Limit Error

I'm not sure whether this is apprioprate explanation for your case, but keep in mind that all the account history after and including the date of payment is considered during the check. For example you could have cash balance on January 1st at $10.000 level, and if today you have only $10, you cannot register e.g. $57 payment made on 5th January as this would result in -$47 balance as today. This constraint is effective only for cash accounts of course.

Janusz

Good Day Janusz,
Thanks for the response. Except - we have more than enough funds in the account and the account is a cash account which never goes into a minus.  Therefore it should not be giving this error...
Looking forward to your response.

The bank transaction would result in exceed of authorized overdraft limit for transaction: # on .
Date:      
Reference:   
Pay To:   
To the Order of:   
Bank Balance:     14,074.00

Payment Items
Account Code    Account Description    Dimension 1    Dimension 2    Amount    Memo       
305100    Diesel              57.00    Bioline - Fuel AAR5214 In23172       
                        Add Item
Total    57.00   

PLEASE...

I cannot reproduce your problem, so I cannot help, sorry.

The only check done during cash account payment entry is made on account history starting from the date entered for the payment. If you have current FA version (2.3.9) all should just work.
Janusz

6 (edited by GlobalRaj 04/09/2012 09:34:19 pm)

I have FA 2.3.9

I had a balance of $1,500 in Cash In hand. I wanted to make a payment for the same amount and ended up with the same error as drummond.

But I was trying to do the transaction on 12/31/2011. It worked fine when I changed the date to 12/30/2011.

So the question is why is it not working for the last day of the year? Is it because it's a weekend? Just taking a wild guess.

On another note, I was able to transfer the same amount from Cash In Hand to Cash In Bank on 12/31/2011.

Regards,
Raj Padhi

Finally I have found small bug in account history checking algorithm which can be reason of your problem. Will be fixed in next minor FA version soon.

Janusz

8 (edited by suresh 07/29/2012 03:15:03 pm)

I just installed FA Release 2.3.11. I am facing same issue. On 27th July I have petty cash balance 3,525.95. When I make a payment of  1915.00 it generates the error "The bank transaction would result in exceed of authorized overdraft limit for transaction: # on 01/08/2012."Can someone assist me to get rid of this error and go ahead with my payment

I use FA Release 2.3.12 and also had this very annoying issue.
Since I could not find any real clue about how to fix it on the forum, I decided to deactivate the code creating this problem by putting // at the beginning of the related lines of code.
In my version that was lines 240 to 246 in /gl/gl_bank.php as reproduced below:

//      if ($trans = check_bank_account_history($amnt_chg, $_POST['bank_account'], $_POST['date_'])) {
//
//              display_error(sprintf(_("The bank transaction would result in exceed of authorized overdraft limit for transaction: %s #%s on %s."),
//                      $systypes_array[$trans['type']], $trans['trans_no'], sql2date($trans['trans_date'])));
//              set_focus('amount');
//              $input_error = 1;
//      }

Works fine. Back in business. smile
I hope this helps.

If you are sure you  have sometimes negative amounts in your cash account, this is acceptable wink.
Janusz

Can we not have a config variable for this? Provided the error does not crop up for non negative values.

Additional config here is unnecessary, as in next major release one another cash type account without limit control is planned (for employee advance payments case). In mean time you can simply choose another type of bank account (e.g. cheque).
Janusz