Topic: Cash Accounting for UK VAT

The UK VAT system allows small companies to use a Cash Accounting system instead of the standard accrual system.

Using the standard VAT accrual accounting system:

* VAT is payable on any invoices issued, even if payment has not been from received from the customer
    * VAT is reclaimed on any invoices received for purchases, even if the supplier has not yet been paid.

Using the Cash Accounting Scheme:

* VAT is only paid on sales when the customers pays
    * VAT is reclaimed on purchases only when the supplier is paid.

In both cases, a rolling three month reporting period is normal.

The Tax Inquiry under the Banking & General Ledger section seems to produce a usable VAT report for  the accrual system, but can it be changed (if necessary by a PHP script change) to generate  a Cash Accounting report and, if so, how please?

As an alternative, is some form of custom report possible, with an appropriate ledger structure ?

Thanks

Re: Cash Accounting for UK VAT

Hi,
Regarding the three month reporting period this can be set in Company setup.

You could change the report for VAT, rep709.php. You should include the remainder of the records (cust invoices and supp invoices) and if they are not 0 they should not be included. Something like that, but maybe somebody can help here.

/Joe

Joe

Thanks.

No problem with the reporting period - I'm sure that will work OK.

I've looked at the script for rep709.php, and it's way beyond my very limited programming knowledge to modify, and I guess it also needs a knowledge of the sql database structure, data definitions, etc.

Ideally for UK use, the need is for a module which will generate the standard VAT 100 quarterly report  produced by all UK companies in the VAT system, covering both the accrual or cash options.

The proprietary software packages on the UK market provide this as standard, but I can't find any open source package that does.

Worth pursuing, as I think in all other respects FA is an excellent system.

If anyone has the time and expertise to look at this it would be much appreciated.

Arion

We have an active UK guy on-board. Mr kerrsmith. Maybe he sees this topic and have the guts to produce such a module.

/joe

Joe

Thanks - I'd be happy to link up with him and provide what assistance I can.

Arion

Hi,

...just wondering if anything was (or is being!) done on the "Cash Rcts/Payments" mechanism for VAT reporting...

If I can help in any way, I'll be very glad to. But... I came across FA for the first time only yesterday, and downloaded and installed it, and it's really very good. I'm a programmer, but, obviously, would need to spend some time getting my head around FA, and the tables, and their relationships, etc.

For the VAT tweaks, the first step would be a detailed "spec" of the rules, as they apply to FA. Perhaps we would get away with just building a new report - to extract:
  - A "Starting Date" and "Ending Date"
  - The Balances of all VAT Paid/Refunded - as at the Starting Date.
  - Any further VAT Payments/Refunds since then (with the Tax folks).
  - The VAT elements of all "outstanding" Drs/Crs Payments and Rcts, and Refunds, Returns, etc, since the start-date.

And these probably need to be split, and summarised, under:
  - Each of the VAT-Rates on Sales
  - Each of the VAT-Rates on Purchases For Resale
  - Each of the VAT-Rates on Purchases NOT For Resale

And this might mean some tweaks with the GL codes...

If the above approach is inadequate, then a more comprehensive approach might be needed, where the Company is set up initially as "VAT on Accruals" or "Cash Accounting VAT", but that sounds like very major surgery!

- Mike.

As far as I understand the differences described in first Arion post, Cash Accounting scheme is exactly the same as Accrual Accounting with one exception: when the  payment is taken into account (invoicing vs payment date). Therefore to implement cash accounting method the sql query in rep709.php (and Tax Inquiry) should use only invoices for which payments was allocated in selected time period. Is it right?
Janusz

Hello, Janusz,

As far as I understand the differences described in first Arion post, Cash Accounting scheme is exactly the same as Accrual Accounting with one exception: when the  payment is taken into account (invoicing vs payment date). Therefore to implement cash accounting method the sql query in rep709.php (and Tax Inquiry) should use only invoices for which payments was allocated in selected time period. Is it right?

I'm not an Accountant, but I think "Cash Accounting" VAT is a bit more awkward... As Arion stated, the VAT transactions apply only to Actual Receipts from our Customers/Debtors, and to Actual Payments made to our Suppliers. But, we can receive Part-Payments and Payments-on-Accounts, Discounted/Agreed Payments, etc... And, similarly, we might make part-payments to our suppliers, and Payments-on-A/c, etc. So, for either of these payments, I think we must decide "which" invoices (Drs or Crs) these payments are against. And, where the payments do not exactly match the balance on the assigned invoice, then we must, somehow, further indicate the amount of the payment against the net goods/services, and the amount against the various VAT elements on the invoice.

Eg: we might have a  Drs Invoice:
  - Goods-A, value 100.00,
  - Goods-B, value 100.00,
  - VAT at 10% on Goods-A, 10.00
  - VAT at 15% on Goods-B, 15.00
  - Total Invoice value: 225.00
And then we get part-payments, spread over a few months, of 50.00, 50.00, 50.00, and a final "settlement" payment of 65.00 (instead of the 75.00 balance-due!). I think we'll have to allocate each payment against a specific Goods-value, and against specific VAT liabilities, and then issue a Credit-Note for the discounted 10.00 (which also includes a VAT element!).

- Mike.

is a possible solution to modify the system to:
> set a company to 'cash accounting'
> have an additional GL account for each VAT category i.e. VAT received (or paid)
> then when payment is made against an invoice generate additional postings from the 'VAT on sales' to the 'VAT received' account

The tax analysis would then be against the VAT received  / paid accounts instead of the VAT on sales / purchases as the posting dates would relate to the correct quarter.

is a possible solution to modify the system to:
> set a company to 'cash accounting'
> have an additional GL account for each VAT category i.e. VAT received (or paid)
> then when payment is made against an invoice generate additional postings from the 'VAT on sales' to the 'VAT received' account

The tax analysis would then be against the VAT received  / paid accounts instead of the VAT on sales / purchases as the posting dates would relate to the correct quarter.

I don't know if your approach is adequate... I hope someone else can clarify that point!

However, the system will need to assign the relevant VAT-Period to each transaction, and the relevant VAT-Rate.

Example:
  - Suppose Many Invoices are due for payment, spanning various (old) VAT-periods, and various VAT-Rates.
  - One major payment is received, covering many of those invoices.

That payment (VAT-Incl) will need to be allocated against the relevant Invoices, perhaps fully clearing some of them, perhaps partly clearing others, and perhaps still leaving an unallocated credit balance on the payment (which must be allocated later against new Invoices, or a refund issued).

For each allocation:
  - the VAT-Rate(s) of the Invoice(s) must be used when building the VAT summaries
  - the VAT-Period of the Receipt must be assigned.

Also, I think that some VAT jurisdictions permit "Cash based" VAT returns only on Debtors Payments (eg, a shop). For the Payables, VAT returns still apply on an Invoiced/Accrual basis.

- Mike

you are absolutely right that I oversimplified it.
For part-payment my understanding is that if 50% of the invoice total was received then 50% of the VAT would be deemed to have been received too.
The VAT period is simply based on the day that the money was spent / received i.e. the posting date of the proposed new items. The original invoice dates have no relevance.
In the UK as far as I know, a business is either cash accounting or not, there are no further complications.

With regards to the VAT rate (and I assume Mike knows better than me on this as I am a real newbie to FA) I am not yet totally familiar with the set-up and reporting. I am working to set up rates of 17.5%, 5%, and 0% plus an exempt class. VAT relating to fuel (petrol / diesel) will also need to be isolated as that has to be adjusted depending on the emission rating of the car (van, etc.).
My impression is that these all have their own GL accounts (except exempt)?
We could use some feedback from UK based accountants using FA in earnest I think. (Apologies Mike if you are one).

Hi, Roy,

For part-payment my understanding is that if 50% of the invoice total was received then 50% of the VAT would be deemed to have been received too.

Yep, that sounds correct to me.

The VAT period is simply based on the day that the money was spent / received i.e. the posting date of the proposed new items. The original invoice dates have no relevance.

Yep...

In the UK as far as I know, a business is either cash accounting or not, there are no further complications.

Agreed also. (I'm in Ireland... "same difference"!).

Except, Arion's first post here mentioned that, for "Cash Accounting" VAT reporting, VAT was claimable on Purchases only when the payment was made to the supplier. I think (but I should check!) that that rule does not apply here - I think VAT on purchases applies to the Invoices (just like normal Accrual VAT accounting).

With regards to the VAT rate (and I assume Mike knows better than me on this as I am a real newbie to FA)...

I'm a (very old) programmer, and NOT an accountant, and also a TOTAL newbie to FA.

My impression is that these all have their own GL accounts (except exempt)?

Even where NO VAT applies (ie. exempt, zero-rate, etc), I'm pretty sure you'll still need the GL accounts, to account for the NET/GROSS amounts of transactions that fall under these categories.

We could use some feedback from UK based accountants using FA in earnest I think.

Agree totally!

- Mike

Hi guys,

FA development team is reading this interesting discussion, and we have to agree the both cash/acrual methods for VAT payments should be implemented in FA. Unfortunately this is complex matter (for example there are also 'mixed' models where some costs have to be registered for tax purposes with cash method, while whole accounting is done in accrual model) so finding the best way of implementation (satisfactory for most FA users) can take some time.

Janusz

Hi again, Janusz,

FA development team is reading this interesting discussion, and we have to agree the both cash/acrual methods for VAT payments should be implemented in FA.

Great!

If it's of any use to any of you, I'll be delighted to help on this matter. Only in recent weeks, I wrote a small add-on module in an A/cs system to AUTOMATICALLY allocate all Drs credits against all the debits (oldest first) and to extract the Cash-Accounting VAT summaries accordingly. However, that approach was "unique", and would not suit FA (IMO).

Unfortunately this is complex matter (for example there are also 'mixed' models where some costs have to be registered for tax purposes with cash method, while whole accounting is done in accrual model) so finding the best way of implementation (satisfactory for most FA users) can take some time.

I agree that the overall "best" approach has to be adopted...

However...

AFAIK, this "Cash-Accounting" option is intended only to assist the trader's cash-flow, and with the monthly VAT returns. In annual A/cs, Mgt A/cs, etc, the VAT analyses still need to be done on the standard Accrual basis. In any case, over time, the Cash-A/c VAT reports end up with the exact same data as the Accrual data, except the timing is different...

So... maybe you should leave the Accrual system in FA exactly "as is", and the only tweaks might be:
  - Maybe have an additional system option: Cash/Accounting reports are needed [Y/N]. If Y, the remaining tweaks would be supported... (If possible, avoid this option in the first place!).
  - On Receivables, encourage the user to fully Allocate each Credit against the relevant Debits.
  - For each DB, it will probably be necessary to note which Credits have been allocated against it. The DATEs on the allocations define the VAT-periods.
  - And, on each Credit, note which DBs it has been allocated against. That identifies the relevant VAT-Rates.
  - Or, maybe a separate "Allocations" table could be maintained, and hooked to the parent DBs and CRs. (I know nothing yet about the FA internals, so perhaps all this allocation support is already in there).
  - Obviously, if transactions are edited, these allocations must be edited accordingly.
  - If the Cash-Accounting VAT also applies to the Payables, the do exactly the same with the CRs and DBs there.
  - Finally, and this might be the only "new" feature to be activated in FA, have a separate "Cash-Accounting" VAT report, to show all the VAT activity as discussed above and in the previous posts here.
  - I think all the current GL A/cs, VAT A/cs, etc, in FA would not be changed in any way - I certainly hope so!!

Mike.

That sounds very sensible to me - it would open up a significant number of new potential users too.
(I'm sure Mike is aware but the HMRC website has all the info you need).

In db terms, like Mike, I would have thought that it was a case of maintaining a new table of posting detail relating back to invoices with VAT content (apologies if it's there already)

I am no PHP-er but I have a "few years" of design experience ;-) and I am happy to test if that helps.

That sounds very sensible to me - it would open up a significant number of new potential users too.

I agree.

(I'm sure Mike is aware but the HMRC website has all the info you need).

Actually, Roy, I'm not! I should look it up - if you have a link, I'd appreciate it. Also, sometimes, the official "specs" of these types of procedures are more legal than technical, and might need some reduction, re-hashing, etc, to facilitate computerisation.

In db terms, like Mike, I would have thought that it was a case of maintaining a new table of posting detail relating back to invoices with VAT content (apologies if it's there already)

Agreed. Maybe very little work needed in FA...

I am no PHP-er but I have a "few years" of design experience ;-) and I am happy to test if that helps.

Me too. I'll gladly knock up a few lines PHP, and/or a few SQL statements, but I'm also totally unfamiliar with the internals, and such a project would need to be directed by someone with an intimate knowledge of FA.

- Mike

sorry for the delay - the relevant HMRC website page is http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_PublicNoticesAndInfoSheets&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_CL_000348
(that's all one hyperlink!)

Thanks, Roy.

That paper is excellent. Happily, our posts above tie in extremely well with the official spec. Perhaps we should emphasise the following (mainly for lurkers here!):

1. The "Cash-Accounting" mechanism is permitted (in the UK) on Purchases (Crs/Payables), as well as Sales (Drs/Receivables).

2. There seems to be an exception, on Purchases, regarding some unusual purchases - eg, Imports. See points 5.5 and 5.6. The VAT on these transactions apply at the time of Invoicing. In FA, I assume these types of purchases would need to be tagged separately, and, therefore, treated separately in the VAT reports.

3. Our posts above have not covered the rules and processes involved in Joining the scheme, Leaving the scheme, Re-joining, Insolvency, etc. Presumably, most/all of these would be outside the scope of FA anyway?

4. I didn't see any advice re how best to handle national VAT-Rate changes. This can be traumatic! Maybe best to have VAT-codes, assign a new code to each new Rate, and start using the new code - as appropriate?

5. Auto-allocation of Credits: See point 5.7. I thought the book-keeper might have to manually allocate every credit against the relevant debits. However, 5.7 says otherwise, which greatly simplifies the user's actions, and makes FA EVER more beneficial!! As I mentioned, I already have implemented "Auto-Allocation" code, which we might be able to use in FA. A matter not mentioned in the HMRC spec is, eg, what to do if Invoice-123 is issued, and it's cleared later by Credit-456. Then Inv-123 is withdrawn... and Cr-456 is freed up, to be allocated against other debits. The automatic mechanism covers all this, and always re-allocates the remaining credits against the remaining debits - ALWAYS oldest first (as per 5.7). So, the VAT summaries emerging might show changes for previously closed VAT-periods, in which case the current VAT balances must be adjusted by the VAT Payments/Refunds made to-date, to arrive at the current VAT payable/refundable. (Hope this makes sense!).

6. I would, very respectfully, suggest that the official approach for handling part-payments against invoices with multiple VAT-rates, as per 8.2, is not as good as the mechanism in the above posts. They seem to be calculating/allocating VAT against the VAT-summary on the invoice (I don't know what would happen if they had MULTIPLE non-zero rates in the example!), rather than against the individual line-items - as I suggested. With the line-item approach, the VAT summaries should show all VAT amounts at the exact rates, and this can be useful in auditing, etc. With the HMRC approach (I think!), the VAT summaries might not reflect any of the standard rates. The overall result, obviously, is still exactly the same in both cases.

So... whereto from here!!

- M.

Hi,

Just having a look at FA for use on our business. We are also UK based and use cash accounting. Is this issue still being followed up?
We are software development operation and could potentially contribute some coding effort . Seems like MJK and Roysharp have  a pretty good handle on what is required.

Paul

Paul,

paulsqs wrote:

Just having a look at FA for use on our business. We are also UK based and use cash accounting. Is this issue still being followed up?

I have done nothing on this matter, nor had any contact with anybody about it - apart from what is in this thread.

As I stated already, I would be very glad to help in any way. However, I've no familiarity with the FA internals.

- Mike

Hi again, everybody...

Just wondering if and how we might assist FA in getting this matter progressed...

For example...

The FA Wiki, "Wishlist" page [1], seems to be a master list of the items being addressed by the FA designers / developers / programmers? Would it be useful if we created a new section there, on this VAT matter? We should combine all the above points into one single coherent "spec", and, hopefully, get others - VAT experts, FA experts, etc - to review and edit it, until it forms a final useful spec for whatever tweaks are needed to FA to support this VAT option...

I've never tried logging in to the FA Wiki - I presume "we" can sign up, and log in. If not, perhaps we can create a shared document elsewhere (eg, Google-Docs), and let the authorised FA folks copy it to the Wiki, or link to it from the Wiki...

- Mike

[1] - https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/index.php?n=Devel.WishList

Hello Mike,

Yes, this is good idea to place all the info on the development wiki. Currently we are more than busy with latest fixes before final 2.3 release, but after it is released we will have more time for cash/accrual VAT implementation. Good news is in the same time I'm involved in implementation of VAT related changes for Polish fiscal rules. As the rules are at least similar throughout EU some of them surely will go to core FA, and will be helpful during other local european VAT implementations.

It is up to you whether you will describe the matter directly on Wiki, or using GoogleDocs. To have write access to the wiki you simply need to log in via forum or wiki interface. I'm not sure about write access rules to specific wiki pages, so if you encounter any problems give me a note.

Thank you for helping us to make FA more friendly for european users smile.

Janusz

Hi Guys, just catching up on the latest FA developments and this sounds interesting. I am pretty sure (witout reading the UK Links) that if you fix this for Cash Accounting of VAT, it will also satisfy the Cash accounting requirements for Australian GST.

I resigned myself to running my GST in an Accrual basis so I think this will be a good extension

[b]RodW[/b]
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Thanks for Feedback,

I am as Mike. Happy to help (have some PHP skills) but know nothing about FA (apart from whats on this thread).

Paul

25 (edited by GarySmith 12/15/2010 10:07:05 pm)

The UK VAT system is very complex due to legislation and does require to take into account a reduced VAT rate being applied where early payment discount is offered (even if it isn't taken), VAT on free goods if they are being resold, VAT on margin only e.g. second user cars and so on and so forth.

However, cash accounting is actually very simple once you approach the reporting from the payment end and not the invoice end. Rather than selecting invoices that were raised during the 3 months, simply look at the payments made in the 3 months and select the invoices that they apply to. This also allows for the inclusion of sundry payments where invoices are not provided e.g. petrol.

By doing it this way, you can re-print the report if a late entered payment is discovered.

There are a few other quirks once you get down to the details but the trick is to start with the payment  and not the invoice.

Hope that makes sense.

PS. Australian GST is almost identical to UK VAT.