Topic: Adding menu tab

I am trying to create some new modules for FrontAccounting. Is there is a simple (or not so simple) way to add a menu tab at the top so that I can install modules inside it?

For instance, to the left of the Setup menu item at top, adding new tab called 'Projects' and then creating modules via  Install/Update Modules.

Any help would be appreciated. Don't be afraid to talk geek, I will understand.

Thanks!

Re: Adding menu tab

Why not install the module under the Dimension tab. A dimension can be whatever you define it to be like project, cost centre, inventory, department, section etc.
If you like some extended operations you could create your project module under the Dimension tab and it will show up down, right.

/Joe

3 (edited by p2409 12/17/2008 09:48:02 am)

I know this posting is old, but if anyone else wants to do this ie. add a panel, here's how (NOTE: ONLY for people familiar with PHP coding):

1) Copy an app file something like what you want from an /applications/ file, and save it there. Give it a name in $this->application and update the foreach loop around line 31 to include any custom installed modules you want in this 'tab' ie. app.
2) config.php - around line 158 add your new app like the others
3) frontaccounting.php - at top of file, include_once your new app file.
4) frontaccounting.php - around line 67 - same thing - $this->addapplication etc.

Now you should see a new panel in the location you chose in config.php.

Your next step will be to actually write PHP files that do stuff in your new tab.
You'll want to create a new directory to hold your new tab functions.
Create a new directory under the root with the name of your new app. You'll want includes, inquiries, manage and view subdirectories probably, depending on what you want to do. See the other directories eg. manufacturing for hints on what you need to do next.

Hello all,
I just want to say, that we do not recommend this approach. You have to replace everything you have changed when the next release is shipping.
It is much better to use one of the existing ones, and create this as a module. A module is just a way of extending the program in an easy way. And it can be installed from inside FrontAccounting.

/Joe

hi there joe, how do we write the module?

There is no detailed instruction how to write modules. The best way is to download some modules from our download section and learn by example.
Janusz

I am interested in using front accounting but I would need to create 2 custom modules to handle my needs or possibly customize the sales order module and create the second module.

If anyone can help point me in the direction to look at documentation to creating a new module I would appreciate it.  I have a basic knowledge of PHP and I could recode/modify code to fit my needs.  I could also create code with a guideline to follow, but I have no idea where to start.  Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Joel

P.S.  If someone is interested in coding for my needs I would be willing to consider it.   I am NOT going to pay $1000 for a custom module, though I know it is what many people would ask or even more.  If I could afford that I would not be looking at open source software.

Take a look at existing modules.

It is very simple, the add module (FA code) puts the hooks in to add a link to your page and when it is clicked your page is called...

Also the simpler modules can help figure out fa function calls (db_query, etc)

tom

The Following steps help you to create a new menu item. Goto frontaccounting main directory(Root Directory). Open you frontaccounting.php . It is giving access to every class. So just find the line

include_once($path_to_root . '/applications/customers.php');

and after the line add your menu item.

Here I am adding a menu item of HRM.

include_once($path_to_root . '/applications/hrm.php');

and create a object for hrm class.

Find the following line

$this->add_application(new customers_app());

and add the following line of code after the line above.

$this->add_application(new hrm_app());

Note: If you change the order that will reflect on your menu order. So place your inclusion function based on your needs.
Then open your applications directory , and create a new php file namely “hrm.php”. And add your hrm class . Just copy any of the class file and make some changes based on your needs.

<?php

class hrm_app extends application 
{
function hrm_app() 
{
$this->application("hrm", _($this->help_context = "&HRM and Payroll"));

// Here you can add your custom functions and files here. 
}

} ?>

Finally login your frontaccounting, to see your new menu item “HRM”.

This is a tutorial. it must be wikied

Subscription service based on FA
HRM CRM POS batch Themes

Isn't this exactly what was described in post #3 of this thread?

Joe's reservations in #4 would certainly still apply.

This thread has the downloadable tutorial.

i am trying to create menu tab but not working above followed tutorial...

any guidance